If you’re looking for an easy and delicious seafood appetizer, look no further than air fryer scallops wrapped in bacon. This recipe is simple to follow and results in a dish that’s crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Plus, who can resist bacon? Serve these scallops at your next party and watch them disappear!
If you love cooking main meals in your air fryer, then be sure to also try this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe!
Table of Contents
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
I’m not sure what’s better – the scallops or the bacon. Maybe it’s the combination of both that makes these Air Fryer Scallops Wrapped in Bacon so good. I could eat them every day!
- The bacon wrapping gives the scallops a crispy outer shell that contrasts nicely with the tender meat inside.
- The recipe is simple to follow and doesn’t require any complicated ingredients.
- These scallops are perfect for parties or other gatherings, since they can be made ahead of time and don’t take long to cook.
Grab these few simple kitchen tools and get ready to make some air fryer scallops wrapped in bacon
- paper towels or kitchen towel
- cutting board
- large skillet
- medium bowl
- rubber spatula
- air fryer
With just a few ingredients, this dish will have your mouth watering and hands reaching out to get more!
- fresh scallops – I used fresh sea scallops when they are available, but you can use frozen scallops too. I don’t recommend using bay scallops. These are too small to wrap bacon around.
- bacon, thin sliced
- ground black pepper
- flat leaf parsley (optional for garnish)
HOW TO DEFROST FROZEN SCALLOPS
If you are using frozen scallops be sure that the package only lists SEA SCALLOPS in the ingredients. These are often referred to as “dry” or natural scallops.
Some brands soak the scallops in a preservative. This method is called “wet” scallops. FishEx believes wet scallops adds to the weight of the scallop, so you may be paying more than you should. They also say “wet” scallops have a soapy taste.
Defrost Frozen “Dry” Scallops
To defrost frozen scallops, remove from the package and place in a bowl, cover and leave in the refrigerator overnight to defrost.
For a quick defrost method, remove scallops from the package and place in a ziplock plastic bag. Seal the bag and place in a bowl of cool water. Let sit for 30 minutes. If the scallops are still frozen after 30 minutes, then change the water and repeat for another 30 minutes.
REMOVE THE MUSCLE
Scallops may have a small oval shaped soft muscle on the side of the main portion of the scallop. Gently remove this with your fingers and discard it. It’s safe to eat, but it will cook much quicker than the meat portion of the scallop and will be tough to chew.
Small muscle on the scallop Gently peel the small muscle away from the larger muscle Small oval muscle from the scallop
HOW TO MAKE THESE AIR FRYER SCALLOPS WRAPPED IN BACON
Making this recipe is as simple and easy as can be. Follow the simple steps below and you will have a delicious meal or appetizer in no time at all.
STEP 1: DRY SCALLOPS
Place scallops in a single layer between paper towels or clean kitchen towels. Gently blot to remove the moisture from the scallops.
STEP 2: SLICE THE BACON
Slice each piece of bacon in half lengthwise, then cut each strip into two or three pieces depending on the size of your scallops.
STEP 3: PAR COOK THE BACON
Par cook the bacon in the air fryer at 400°F degrees for 2 minutes or place the sliced bacon on a microwave safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover the bacon with an additional layer of paper towels, and microwave for 1-2 minutes, just to render some of the fat. You want the bacon to still be pliable.
STEP 4: SEASON THE SCALLOPS
Place prepared scallops in a medium size mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper and paprika. With a rubber spatula gently toss to coat.
STEP 5: WRAP THE SCALLOP IN BACON
Wrap a piece of the bacon around the scallop and tuck the bacon under the scallop. In a single layer place the scallop in the air fryer basket.
STEP 6: AIR FRY THE SCALLOPS
Air fry scallops at 400°F degrees for 8 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 115°F degrees. Once the scallops are removed, they will continue to cook to 120°F degrees. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may need to cook the scallops in batches.
Is it necessary to coat the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray before adding the scallops? No. Air fryers are treated with a non-stick coating and the oil from the bacon will help easily remove the scallops from the basket.
STEP 7: GARNISH AND ENJOY
7. Remove from the air fryer and garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy right away.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AIR FRYER SCALLOPS WRAPPED IN BACON
These easy air fryer scallops are the perfect appetizer, but they would also make a great main course. If you’re looking for simple sides to serve with them, here are a few that I recommend.
- Roasted green beans
- Creamed Spinach
- Mashed potatoes
- Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Over zoodles with Keto Alfredo Sauce
- On top of a green salad
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Want to add more flavor to these scallops? Try some of the following ideas.
- You could also add a little bit of garlic powder or onion powder to the scallops for extra flavor.
- If you’re looking for something a little bit different, you could try wrapping the scallops in pancetta instead of bacon.
- If you want to add a little extra flavor to the scallops, try using a flavored bacon. Maple bacon would be a great choice!
- You could also mix up the herbs and use thyme or rosemary instead of parsley.
- Cajun seasoning or Old Bay Seasoning would add a nice spice to this easy recipe.
- Top these with a little lemon zest, or lemon wedges on the side for a fresh flavor.
- For a sweet buttery flavor you can dip cooked scallops in melted butter or garlic butter.
- Fresh dill is another delicious delicious herb that will bring a fresh zing of flavor to this scallop dinner.
HOW TO STORE
If you have any leftover scallops, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Alternatively, you can freeze them for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to eat them, just thaw them out in the fridge overnight. Enjoy!
It takes 8 minutes for the scallops to cook in an air fryer at 400°F degrees. If the scallops are larger, you may need to cook them for a little bit longer.
Scallops should be cooked to an internal temperature of 115°F degrees. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature after the six minutes of cooking time.
Yes, you can use regular bacon instead of thin sliced bacon. If you do, you may need to cook them for a bit longer in the air fryer.
You can use frozen scallops, but I recommend thawing them first before you make these air fryer sea scallops.
OTHER DELICIOUS AIR FRYER RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
Air Fryer Scallops Wrapped in Bacon
- 1/2 pound sea scallops about 12 scallops
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Parsley minced (garnish, optional)
- If using frozen scallops, place in a bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator to defrost overnight. To defrost quickly, place scallops in a ziplock bag, secure, then place in a bowl with cool water. Replace water ever 30 minutes or until scallops defrost.
- Remove and discard the soft muscle from scallops.
- Place scallops between paper towels or clean kitchen towels. Gently blot to remove the moisture from the scallops.
- Slice each piece of bacon in half lengthwise, then cut each strip into two or three pieces depending on the thickness of the sea scallops.
- Preheat the air fryer for 3 minutes at 400°F degrees.
- Par cook the cut bacon in the air fryer at 400*F degrees for 2 minutes or place bacon on a microwave safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover the bacon with an additional layer of paper towels, and microwave for 1-2 minutes, just to render some of the fat. You want the bacon to still be pliable.
- Place prepared scallops in a medium size mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper, and paprika. With a rubber spatula gently toss to coat.
- Wrap a piece of the bacon around the scallop and tuck the bacon under the scallop. In a single layer place the scallop in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 400°F degrees for 8 minutes or until
the internal temperature reaches 115°F degrees. Once the scallops are removed, they will continue to cook to 120°F degrees. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may need to cook the scallops in batches.
- Remove from air fryer and garnish with parsley.
Enjoy right away.
just scallops. These are referred to as “Dry” scallops. “Wet” scallops are coated with a preservative, which don’t taste as good and won’t brown as well as “Dry” scallops.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.