Tender Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
This Slow Cooker Pot Roast recipe is the perfect comfort food for a winter night. It’s easy to make and so delicious! The next time you are looking for a hearty meal that doesn’t require much effort, look no further than this easy slow cooker recipe.
You also might light this family favorite Slow Cooker Sirloin Tip with Mushrooms Recipe!
Table of Contents
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- This Slow Cooker Pot Roast is hearty and comforting for a cool night.
- It’s easy to make and perfect for a busy weeknight.
- This recipe is delicious and picky eater-approved.
- Lower carb dish made without potatoes.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this savory recipe. Gather these ingredients and items before getting started:
- knife and cutting board
- measuring cup and spoon
- slow cooker
You only need a few simple ingredients that are easy to find at your local grocery store to make this Sunday supper recipe.
- chuck roast, cut into large pieces
- salt, divided
- carrots diced or baby carrots
- onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- beef broth
- red wine or cooking wine
- tomato paste
- Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- cloves garlic, minced
- Italian seasoning mix
- bay leaves
- baby bella mushrooms, quartered
HOW TO MAKE THIS SLOW COOKER POT ROAST RECIPE
Making this comforting pot recipe is simple. Just load up your slow cooker and you will have a hearty meal that’s perfect for fall when you get home from a long work day.
STEP 1: LIGHTLY SPRAY THE SLOW COOKER WITH COOKING SPRAY
Lightly spray the slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.
STEP 2: ADD THE CHUCK ROAST, CARROTS, AND ONIONS TO THE POT
Add the diced chuck roast to the slow cooker seasoning with ½ teaspoon salt. Top with the carrots and onions.
STEP 3: MAKE THE SAUCE AND SEASONING AND POUR IT OVER THE MEAT
In a separate medium bowl, stir the beef broth, wine, tomato paste, tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning mix, and remaining salt. Pour over the meat and vegetables. Place the mushrooms and bay leaves on top.
STEP 4: COOK ON LOW FOR 8 HOURS
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or until the roast is fork tender.
STEP 5: REMOVE THE BAY LEAVES AND SERVE
Remove the bay leaves and serve.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH POT ROAST
This pot roast is hearty and filling and it is excellent all on its own. But, if you want to pair it with it something here are a few of my family’s favorites.
- If you want to round out the meal, I recommend serving it with a simple salad or some steamed broccoli.
- You could also serve it over some egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
- Green beans are a staple side dish to serve with a flavorful roast recipe like this one.
- Another side dish that we enjoy is fresh baked bread or rolls.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Here are a few substitutions that you can make with this recipe:
- If you don’t have beef broth, you could use beef stock or even water.
- I like to use red wine in this recipe but you could also use white wine. If you want to keep it kid-friendly or don’t want to use alcohol, you could use cooking wine or even leave it out altogether.
- I used Italian-style stewed tomatoes in this recipe, but you could also use regular stewed tomatoes.
- Instead of using homemade Italian seasoning mix, you can use a packet of your favorite store-bought. You could also use a ranch seasoning packet instead.
- You can also add diced potatoes to this recipe.
- Change up the cut of meat by using a round or rump roast instead.
- Add a richer flavor to your tender roast by adding in a dash of soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce.
- Add more vegetables to your roast by tossing in some celery stalks with the yellow onions.
HOW TO STORE
I like to store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They will last for 3 days.
To reheat, you can use the microwave or stovetop. If using the stovetop, add a little beef broth or water to the pot to prevent the meat from drying out.
Here are a few tips to help you make this crockpot pot roast recipe.
- If you want to save a few minutes of prep, you could dice the carrots and onions the night before. Just store them in a ziplock bag in the fridge until you are ready to use them.
- I like to use baby bella mushrooms in this recipe, but you can really use any type of mushroom that you want.
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, you could make this recipe in the oven. Just follow the same instructions but cook it covered in a 350-degree oven for 3-4 hours or until the beef is fork tender.
- Make a delicious gravy by thickening the leftover sauce once the beef chuck roast is done by mixing in a cornstarch slurry and allowing it to simmer in the slow cooker for a few minutes.
- Instead of baby carrots, you can peel and slice large carrots and add those instead.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this tender pot roast recipe.
You do not have to brown your roast first. I did not. It does give the roast a nice flavor and texture, but it works well without it.
I recommend that you slow cook the roast for 8 hours on low.
I recommend that you cook on low, using the low heat gives you the most tender and flavorful meat possible.
OTHER DELICIOUS SLOW COOKER RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Easy Slow Cooker General Tso Chicken
- Crock Pot Pork Roast
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Mississippi Pot Roast
Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 4 to 5 pound chuck roast*, cut into large pieces
- 1 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 2 to 3 onions peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 16 ounce package baby bella mushrooms, quarter
- Lightly spray the slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the diced chuck roast to the slow cooker seasoning with ½ teaspoon salt. Top with the diced carrots and onions.
- In a separate medium bowl, stir together the beef broth, wine, tomato paste, tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, and remaining salt. Pour over the meat and vegetables.
- Add the mushrooms and bay leaves on top of the ingredients.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or until the roast is fork tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.