This Sugar Free Sweet Potato Pie Recipe is the perfect holiday dessert for those watching their sugar intake. Made with a few simple ingredients, this pie is sure to be a hit with everyone! Plus, you can easily make this a keto friendly pie by switching up the crust if you want to stay on track for the holidays.
You also might love this Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe too!
Table of Contents
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Made with a few simple ingredients that you may already have on hand.
- Easily made keto friendly for a low carb dessert your family and friends will love this holiday season.
- The perfect dessert to serve at Thanksgiving dinner for those watching their sugar intake!
- Sweet potatoes are full of antioxidants, packed with Vitamin A, and naturally nutritious. Source: Healthline
- All of these ingredients are easy to find in grocery stores.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this simple dessert recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy a healthy and tasty fall dessert.
- pie pan
- measuring cups and spoons
- baking sheet
- large bowl
- wire rack
Making this sugar free sweet potato pie only requires a few simple ingredients. After a quick trip to the grocery store, you will have everything you need to make this healthy fall dessert.
- sweet potatoes, drained, rinsed, and mashed
- whole eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- heavy whipping cream
- golden monk fruit or sugar free sweetener of your choice
- vanilla extract
- unsalted butter, softened
- corn starch
- pumpkin pie spice
- Store-bought pie crust, for 8-inch or 9-inch pans (or homemade pie crust)
- Whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice, for garnish
HOW TO MAKE THIS SUGAR FREE SWEET POTATO PIE RECIPE
Making this sweet potato pie recipe is simple. Just follow the instructions below and you will have a delicious recipe that your entire family will enjoy, and they will never know that it’s sugar free and healthy.
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Step 2: Grease a pie plate
Grease the inside of the pie dish with 1 tablespoon of softened butter. Gently place the pie dough over the buttered dish.
Step 3: Flute edge of your pie crust
Press the edge of the crust into a decorative shape or press the edge of the dough with a fork tong.
Step 4: Bake the pie crust
Place the pie crust pan on a baking sheet and bake the crust for 3 minutes.
Step 5: Cool the crust
Remove the crust and set it aside while preparing the filling.
SWEET POTATO PIE FILLING
Step 6: Mix together the wet ingredients
In a large mixing bowl add the sweet potatoes, eggs, and cream. Blend with a stand mixer or hand mixer.
Step 7: Add the dry ingredients and vanilla to the batter
Add the monk fruit, spices, vanilla, corn starch, and remaining butter (1/3 cup). Mix with a stand mixer or hand mixer until the mixture is smooth.
Step 8: Pour mixture into the crust
Add the pie filling to the prepared pie crust.
Step 9: Bake the pie
Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Drop the heat to 300°F and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean, about 45-60 minutes.
Step 10: Cool the pie
Remove the pie and set it on a counter to cool for 3-4 hours to allow the pie to set. Serve or cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Step 11: Top and serve
Pipe a dollop of whipped cream on top of the pie, and sprinkle with a little bit of pumpkin spice or nutmeg.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Do you want to make changes to this easy sweet potato pie recipe? Here are a few of my tried and true swaps for this recipe.
- Instead of using a traditional pie crust, you can make a low carb crust with this coconut flour pie crust.
- Replace the heavy cream with full-fat coconut milk for a dairy free option.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans to the filling for a little crunch.
- When greasing your pan, butter works best and gives the best flavor but you can use coconut oil or shortening instead.
- For additional flavor, you can add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon or ground nutmeg to your sweet potato mixture.
- Don’t have monk fruit on hand? Use the equivalent of your favorite sugar substitute.
- Save a little time on clean up and use a thawed pie shell from the frozen department of grocery stores.
Making this recipe is easier than you think. Just follow these tips and you will have a perfect pie every time.
- If you are not using canned sweet potatoes. Be sure to use cooked and mashed sweet potatoes for the filling, not raw. To a roast whole sweet potatoes pierce clean sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425°F for about 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- Do not over-mix the batter, or your pie will be tough.
- Do not open the oven door while the pie is baking, or your pie may not be set correctly.
- If your crust starts to get too dark, you can place strips of aluminum foil around the edges to prevent them from continuing to brown.
HOW TO STORE
This pie is best served fresh but can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Do you have questions about this healthy sweet potato pie recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this great recipe.
This pie is best served cold or at room temperature.
Yes! This recipe can easily be made ahead of time. Make the entire pie, let it cool completely, and then store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yes! This recipe freezes well. Wrap the entire pie tightly with plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Let the pie thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
OTHER DELICIOUS DESSERT RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
Healthy Sugar Free Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- 1 40 oz. can sweet potatoes drained, rinsed and mashed
- 2 whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup golden monk fruit
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Pre-made refrigerated pie crust for 8-inch or 9-inch pans (or homemade pie crust)
- Whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice for garnish
1. Pre heat the oven to 400°F.
2. Grease the inside of a 8-9 inch pie dish with 1 tablespoon of softened butter. Gently place the pie dough over the buttered dish.
3. Press the edge of the crust into a decorative shape or press the edge of the dough with a fork tong.
4. Place the pie crust pan on a baking sheet and bake the crust for 3 minutes.
5. Remove the crust and set aside while preparing the filling.
SWEET POTATO PIE FILLING
6. In a large mixing bowl add the sweet potatoes, eggs, and cream. Blend with a stand mixer or hand mixer.
7. Add the monk fruit, spices, vanilla, corn starch, and remaining butter (1/3 cup). Mix with a stand mixer or hand mixer until the mixture is smooth.
8. Add the pie filling to the prepared pie crust.
9. Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Drop the heat to 300°F and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean, about 45-60 minutes.
10. Remove the pie and set it on a counter to cool for 3-4 hours to allow the pie to set. Serve or cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
11. Top with whipped cream, and sprinkle with pumpkin spice or nutmeg.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.