Easy Zesty Italian Chicken Recipe
This baked chicken in Italian dressing is the perfect easy weeknight meal. The chicken is marinated in a simple Italian dressing, then baked until juicy and tender. Serve it with a side of pasta or potatoes, and you have a delicious and healthy meal that the whole family will love!
Italian dressing is a staple in our house. We use it on salads, as a marinade for chicken or steak, and even as a dipping sauce for bread. It’s so versatile and flavorful, and it really enhances the flavor of whatever it’s used on. This baked chicken in Italian dressing is one of our favorite ways to use Italian dressing.
Be sure to try this Healthy Chicken Marinade recipe too!
Table of Contents
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- This baked chicken in Italian dressing is so easy to make it’s perfect for busy weeknights.
- You only need a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time to make this chicken dinner.
- This easy recipe is family-friendly and even picky eaters will enjoy it.
- Use any cut of chicken – thighs, skinless, boneless or skin and bone on.
- You only need a few minutes of prep time to make this delicious chicken recipe.
- Healthy low carb, high protein meal.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this Italian dressing chicken recipe. Gather these kitchen tools and get ready to enjoy this simple meal.
- baking dish
- gallon-sized freezer bag or casserole dish
- measuring spoon
This recipe only requires three ingredients that are all easy to find at your local grocery store. You might even have most of these items on hand in your pantries saving you a trip out of the house.
- Boneless Chicken Breast
- Italian Dressing – see homemade Italian Dressing Mix
- Lemon, juice
HOW TO MAKE THIS BAKED CHICKEN IN ITALIAN DRESSING
Making this baked chicken recipe is easy. Just follow the simple below and you will have a delicious meal that your entire family will enjoy in no time at all.
STEP 1: WHISK TOGETHER THE ITALIAN DRESSING
Place the Italian dressing mix with olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice in a small bowl, mason jar or a salad dressing bottle. Whisk or shake until all the ingredients are blended.
- 3/4 cups olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Dressing Mix
STEP 1: MARINATE THE CHICKEN BREASTS
Place chicken breasts (or other cuts of chicken) in a casserole dish or Ziploc plastic bag and add 1 cup of the Italian dressing. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes, but no longer than 24 hours. Turning to rotate the chicken once.
STEP 2: BAKE THE CHICKEN BREASTS
Put marinated chicken breasts in a casserole dish and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the chicken. Bake at 375°F for 20-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
STEP 3: LET THE CHICKEN REST
Remove from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS DISH
This baked chicken in Italian dressing is delicious on its own, or you could pair it with a side dish. Here are some of our favorite side dishes to serve with this recipe:
- Baked potatoes
- Mashed potatoes
- Steamed vegetables
- Roasted vegetables
- Pasta salad
- Ceasar salad
- Simple tossed salad
- Green beans
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
This baked chicken in Italian dressing is delicious as-is, but there are a few substitutions and additions that you could make to change up the flavors. Here are a few ideas:
- Add garlic to the marinade for an extra boost of flavor.
- Try using a different type of dressing, like ranch or vinaigrette.
- Add some freshly grated Parmesan cheese to the top of the chicken before baking.
- Try using chicken thighs or drumsticks instead of breasts. You will need to adjust the cooking time according to the type of meat that you use.
- Add a little heat to your Italian marinade by adding a dash of red pepper flakes to the dressing.
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect baked chicken in Italian dressing:
- I used my homemade Italian dressing mix, but you can use a bottle of your favorite Italian dressing instead if you prefer.
- If you don’t have time to marinate the chicken, you can skip that step and bake it immediately. The chicken will still be flavorful, but it won’t be quite as tender.
- If you want to make this recipe ahead of time, marinate the chicken breasts in the Italian dressing and store them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to bake them, just follow the recipe instructions.
- Do you have Olive Garden Italian Dressing? If so, you may want to leave the lemon juice out of this delicious dish.
- If you are using bone-in, skin-on chicken like split chicken breasts, I suggest you bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes.
- This recipe is for boneless skinless chicken breasts, if you are using a different type of chicken you will need to adjust the cooking time.
- When marinating this inside a bowl or casserole dish instead of a storage bag be sure to cover the dish with aluminum foil or plastic wrap to keep air out.
HOW TO STORE
Leftover chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Reheat in the oven, microwave on 50% power, or on the stovetop until warmed through.
You could also freeze this baked chicken in Italian dressing for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat according to the instructions above.
Do you have questions about this flavorful chicken recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this simple recipe.
You can marinate chicken breasts in Italian dressing for up to 24 hours. I wouldn’t recommend marinating any longer than that because the acidity in the dressing can start to break down the chicken.
No, you don’t need to cover chicken when baking it. In fact, I think it’s better not to cover the chicken.
The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165°F. Use an instant-read meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken.
OTHER DELICIOUS EASY CHICKEN DINNER IDEAS YOU MAY ENJOY
- Baked Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts without Breading
- Keto Butter Chicken in an Instant Pot
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Zesty Baked Chicken in Italian Dressing
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken boneless skinless breasts (3-4)
- 1 cup Italian Dressing*
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Prepare homemade Italian Dressing if using.
- Place chicken breasts in a casserole dish or Ziploc plastic bag and add 1 cup of the Italian dressing.
- Place in the refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes, but no longer than 24 hours. Turning to rotate the chicken once.
- Put marinated chicken breasts in a casserole dish and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the chicken. Bake at 375°F for 20-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.