Home cooked Slow Cooker Lasagna made with no-boil noodles, Italian sausage, cheese, a quick tomato sauce and a couple of handfuls of baby spinach!
Holy moly was this lasagna good! It may even trump my vegetable lasagna! The best part of this dish is that it’s cooked in a slow cooker and if you’re lucky, your significant other will make it! Yep, Alan surprised me with this delicious home cooked meal!
After our four day getaway I had to get back to the office, but Alan is on summer break for a couple of more weeks, so while I was at work he sent a text saying that he’ll make dinner and wanted ideas. Isn’t that the hardest part of meal planning? Coming up with what to make? I suggested Kalua Pork because it’s the easiest recipe ever and we could eat it for several meals. Plus. it’s made in the slow cooker which takes some pressure off of the whole task of cooking.
So imagine my great surprise when I came home to this cheesy lasagna! When Alan decides to make a dish he’ll investigates all his options and he adjusts the recipe to his preference. That’s a MAJOR cooking breakthrough folks! It wasn’t too long ago that he would NOT tweak a recipe at all. Every single ingredient would have to be exactly what the recipe said to a “T”. Seriously would drive me nuts! Half the fun of cooking is experimenting and adding your personal touch. Agree? We’ve come a long happy way! I do believe his hobby for brewing beer has helped him become more creative in thinking outside of the recipe box!
AND what I thought might be eggplant in this lasagna is actually a nutritious dose of spinach! Layers of baby spinach are nestled between the noodles and cheese – gawh! Arrow went strait to my giddy heart! <swoon>.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounce tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 9 No-Boil lasagna noodles
- 3 cups Baby spinach
- 16 ounce ricotta
- 8 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the sausage, onion until brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, salt, and oregano and stir until well incorporated.
- Layer bottom of slow cooker with 1 cup of sauce. Add a layer of noodles to fit in pan, meat sauce, layer of spinach, ricotta cheese. Repeat layering 2 more times. Top with remaining sauce and then the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.