This Vegan Caramel Sauce recipe is incredibly versatile and can be used to top a variety of desserts. Drizzle it over vegan ice cream, use as a fruit dip, or even add some to your morning oatmeal for a sweet twist! It’s also great for making vegan caramel apples. This is the same sauce I use in these Banana Walnut Bars and I thought it deserved to be highlighted it’s so delicious.
The best part about this recipe is that it only requires a handful of simple ingredients and is ready in no time. It comes together with a few minutes of stirring on the stovetop and is just as delicious as the store-bought version, but without any artificial or processed ingredients.
Why You’ll This Recipe
- This delicious caramel sauce is sweet, luscious, and creamy.
- It’s made with wholesome ingredients and has a delicious, rich flavor.
- Plus, it can be made in just minutes and tastes so much better than store-bought caramel.
- Easy to double or triple for a larger batch.
- It’s also perfect for topping all your favorite treats! From cakes to pies to ice cream sundaes, this caramel sauce will take any dessert to the next level.
If you love caramel and have a sweet tooth you may also enjoy this Caramel Banana French Toast recipe.
You only need a few pieces of equipment to help you make this simple yet delicious recipe.
- small saucepan
- whisk or rubber spatula
- airtight container or glass jar
You only need a few natural ingredients to help you make this easy vegan caramel sauce recipe. And, you may even already have these ingredients on hand which can help save you a trip to the grocery store! You can find the amounts needed for this recipe in the recipe card below.
- coconut sugar or brown sugar
- cold water
- coconut milk
- vanilla extract
How to Make This Vegan Caramel Sauce Recipe
Making this homemade caramel sauce is so simple. Follow the step by step instructions below and you will a creamy sauce that’s perfect for coffee, desserts, or anything else you can think up!
Step 1: Dissolve the sugar
In a small saucepan add coconut sugar and water and heat over medium. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
Step 2: Bring the syrup to a boil
Continue to heat until the ingredients start to bubble. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Step 3: Add the coconut milk and continue to simmer
Add coconut milk and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Step 4: Add the vanilla and then cool
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Cool before storing.
What To Serve With This Dish
I like to use this homemade caramel in recipes like this Apple Dessert Pizza or a Iced Frosty Cappuccino recipe for an extra special treat. You could also serve this with apple slices, or as the perfect topping for vegan ice cream and other baked goods.
Substitutions and Additions
Here are a few ways that you can personalize this caramel syrup recipe to suit your taste buds.
- Add a pinch of sea salt when you add the vanilla extract to give it some extra flavor.
- If you don’t have coconut sugar, you can use brown sugar instead or even agave or date syrup.
- If you are not vegan and just want a dairy free caramel sauce, then you may prefer raw honey instead of coconut sugar.
- You can also add a pinch of cinnamon, cardamom, or nutmeg for a delicious twist on the flavor.
- This dairy-free caramel sauce is great as it is, but you can also add a little vegan butter to give it a richer flavor.
How To Store
Storage – Store your homemade caramel sauce in an airtight container or mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Reheat just before using.
Reheating – You can reheat your caramel sauce in the microwave or on the stovetop until it becomes a pourable consistency. Be sure to give it a good stir while it is reheating so that it’s mixed well.
Freezing – You can freeze this caramel sauce for up to three months. Just make sure to use a freezer-safe container.
Sandra’s Pro Tips
Here are a few tips to make sure that this recipe turn out perfectly for you every time that you make it.
- Make sure that you use canned coconut milk and not coconut cream, as the consistency of coconut cream is too thick for this recipe.
- Be sure to stir often while simmering the ingredients, otherwise it may stick to the bottom of the pan.
- If you want an extra sweet caramel sauce add some maple syrup when adding the coconut milk.
- Make sure that you allow the caramel to room to room temperature before you store it in the fridge.
Do you have questions about this vegan caramel recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this easy recipe.
Vegan caramel is usually made from coconut milk, sugar, a small amount of water, and vanilla extract.
This caramel sauce can last for up to two weeks in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container or mason jar.
Yes, you can freeze this caramel sauce for up to three months.
Vegan Caramel Sauce Recipe
Rich and creamy vegan caramel sauce to add to your favorite desserts and recipes.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 4 ounces water
- 4 ounces coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan add coconut sugar and water and heat over medium. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Continue to heat until the ingredients start to bubble for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Cool before placing in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 37Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 0g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Other Delicious Recipes You May Enjoy
- Buttermilk Cupcakes with Caramel Icing – Light and airy cupcakes with a rich caramel topping.
- Dulce De Leche – This rich and delicious Mexican caramel sauce is made with sweetened condensed milk.
- Sugar Free Caramel Latte – Turn a favorite latte beverage into a dairy free beverage using this homemade vegan caramel sauce.
Leave a Reply