Ahhh, summer sun and fun gatherings call for an ice cream dessert bar! Add this magic shell recipe to your toppings list and watch a chocolate shell form in minutes!
This post is sponsored by Voortman Bakery. The content and opinions expressed below are that of The Foodie Affair.
How Does The Chocolate Shell Work?
Magic shell chocolate is probably one of my favorite topping to add to ice cream as a kid. Watching the shell magically harden in minutes was mesmerizing!
What was the key ingredient to make the magic happen? Food-grade paraffin wax was often used in the ingredient list.
Thankfully, paraffin wax isn’t used as often anymore, and kids born in the 60’s and 70’s are just fine! lol
Today, fatty oils like coconut oil are used in place of wax.
The first ingredient listed on the pre-made chocolate shell Smucker’s is sugar, which is much too sweet for my adult tastebuds!
Followed in order are the ingredients used in the greatest amount first of pre-made chocolate shell;
- Sunflower Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Soy Lecithin – food additive used as an emulsifier
Magic Shell Recipe 2 Ingredients
For this homemade recipe, granulated sugar is eliminated by using dark chocolate stevia sweetened baking chips.
Ice cream is sweet enough, which is why sugar-free topping is a perfect topping!
This recipe uses two ingredients.
- Chocolate Chips
- Coconut oil
Microwave or Double Boiler Method
Toppings For Ice Cream Bar
Ice cream bars are super super fun and easy to set up for a summer time gathering!
Start with a basic vanilla ice cream, then let your imagination go wild with the toppings.
Some of my favorite toppings are;
- Voortman’s Wafers and Cookies
- Fresh whipped cream
- Low carb caramel sauce
- Mini marshmallows
- Maraschino cherries
- Chopped nuts
- Fresh fruit
- Sugar free strawberry puree
- Homemade blueberry sauce
More Ways To Use Magic Shell
Pouring a scoop of magic shell over a bowl of ice cream is a delicious way to add some pizazz to ice cream.
For an extra special ice cream bar, dip each Voortman Bakery wafer into the chocolate to add a coating of chocolate shell!
First, place the wafers on a baking sheet and place in the freezer. In about 20 minutes the cookies will be nice and cold. Dip the frozen cookie into the magic shell chocolate.
Next, watch the chocolate shell harden just like it does on ice cream!
This same method can be used on a variety of foods! What would you like to see coated in magic shell?
TIP – in a hurry? Place dipped cookies in the freezer to speed up the chocolate hardening process.
You Also Might Like These Other Voortman Bakery Recipes
- No-bake Eclair Dessert – layered dessert with vanilla wafers, fresh pastry cream, and chocolate ganache!
- Apple Spice Cream Cheese Ball – Cream cheese ball mixed with a combination of apple pie spices, sweetener, and then topped with pumpkin cookie crumbs and pecans!
- Strawberry Mousse Recipe – Easy light and airy strawberry mousse recipe made with fresh whipped cream, sweetener, and sugar-free strawberry puree.
- Mini Cheesecake Recipe – No bake bite size treat made with a wafer cookie crumb base, then topped with a creamy no bake cheesecake filling.
- 1 cup stevia sweetened chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Melt ingredients in the microwave in soften mode or low for 30 seconds. Continue to heat in 30 second increments until chocolate is melted.
- Stir chocolate and coconut until smooth.
- Place in a jar with a lid.
- Spoon over ice cream and watch the chocolate magically harden.
The chocolate can also be melted in a double boiler. Place in pan with simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth.
Serving Size:1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 28Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 1.5gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g