These Sweet Potato Muffins with Cinnamon Topping are perfect for a quick and easy breakfast on the go. They are light, tender, and packed with flavor and will keep you satisfied until lunchtime. These muffins are also great for a snack or a light dessert.
You also might like this seasonal Pumpkin Protein Muffin recipe too!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Quick and easy to make and perfect for making ahead.
- Packed with flavor, soft and fluffy on the inside.
- An efficient way to use leftover sweet potato puree from your holiday recipes like this Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl or Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe.
- Perfect for a quick breakfast when you are on the go.
If you love healthy muffin recipes, you may also enjoy these Healthy Small Batch Banana Muffins.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this easy breakfast recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy a fluffy fall-inspired muffin.
- muffin pan or cupcake pan
- small bowl
- medium bowl
- large bowl
- cupcake liners
You only need a few simple ingredients to help you make these healthy sweet potato muffins. All of these ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store, or you may already have most of them on hand which can save you a trip to the local grocery store.
- sweet potatoes, mashed – Here are some tips to Bake Fresh Sweet Potatoes or if you use canned, but be sure to rinse them if they are canned with syrup.
- wheat pastry flour – This adds to the light and airy texture muffins can have.
- pumpkin pie spice
- baking powder – Check the expiration date!
- kosher salt
- brown sugar
- canola oil
- zest from 1 orange
- white sugar crystals
- ground cinnamon
HOW TO MAKE THESE SWEET POTATO MUFFINS WITH CINNAMON TOPPING
Making these Sweet Potato Muffins is so simple. Just follow the instructions below and you will a delicious fall breakfast on the go in no time at all.
STEP 1: PREHEAT THE OVEN AND PREPARE YOUR MUFFIN TIN
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray muffin liners with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
STEP 2: MIX TOGETHER THE TOPPING
Combine sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl and set aside.
STEP 3: WHISK TOGETHER THE DRY INGREDIENTS
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt.
STEP 4: WHISK TOGETHER THE WET INGREDIENTS
In a separate large bowl whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, milk, and orange zest. Add sweet potatoes to the liquid mix and whisk until well blended.
STEP 5: ADD THE DRY INGREDIENTS TO THE WET MIXTURE
Add the flour mixture and stir until the ingredients are moistened. It’s ok if the batter is a little lumpy.
STEP 6: FILL THE LINERS WITH BUTTER
Fill the liners with batter three-fourths full.
STEP 7: SPRINKLE CINNAMON SUGAR MIXTURE ON TOP
Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar/cinnamon mix on each muffin.
STEP 8: BAKE THE MUFFINS
Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
STEP 9: ALLOW THE MUFFINS TO COOL
Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MUFFINS
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
- Here are a few ways that you can change up these muffins to suit your taste buds.
- You can use all-purpose flour in place of whole wheat pastry flour. I just recommend sifting it first.
- You could also add some chopped nuts to the batter before baking for a little crunch.
- If you don’t have sugar crystals on hand, you can use just granulated sugar for the topping.
- If you don’t have fresh sweet potato on hand, to mash you can use sweet potato puree instead.
- Chocolate chips can be added to the muffin batter at the end if you want a little chocolate flavor to your muffins.
- A great way is to use an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop to spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- If you don’t want to use paper liners you can use silicone liners instead.
HOW TO STORE
Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Do you have questions about this easy muffin recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this recipe.
The green color is from the oxidization of the sweet potatoes. It is not harmful, but it doesn’t look very appealing. To prevent this from happening you can add a little bit of lemon juice or orange juice to the batter.
Instead of adding sugar crystals you can use granulated sugar, brown sugar or made an icing with powdered sugar and milk as noted in the recipe card.
Yes, you can definitely make these without the topping. If you want to do this, just omit the sugar and cinnamon from the recipe.
OTHER DELICIOUS RECIPES MUFFIN RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- 1 3/4 cups sweet potatoes, mashed
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- zest from 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons white sugar crystals
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray muffin liners with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, milk and orange zest.
- Add sweet potatoes to the liquid mix and whisk until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until ingredients are moistened. It's ok if the batter is a little lumpy.
- Fill the muffin liners with batter three fourths full.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar/cinnamon mix on each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
To make a glaze instead of adding the sanding sugar, sift 1 cup of powdered sugar in a small mixing bowl. Add 1 to 3 tablespoons of milk and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Stir until well blended. To thin, add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled muffins.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 316mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 5gSugar: 13gProtein: 8g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma