Mashed Sweet Potato Breakfast bowl made with chicken sausage, apple, onion and savory spices in an Instant Pot. This breakfast bowl is hearty and sure to keep you going for hours.
Easy Instant Pot Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
Ready to break out from only preparing the traditional sweet potato casserole recipe, and try something new? I have just the nutritious and filling meal for breakfast!
Not only is this dish a great way to start the day, but it will leave you satisfied for hours.
However, I recommend that you don’t limit this dish to just breakfast. Add it to your brunch menu along with egg muffin cups, lunch, dinner and even for a snack though out the day.
This breakfast bowl is a great recipe to prep ahead for the week and portion into single servings to have breakfast ready to go.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Breakfast Bowls
For this breakfast bowl you can use fresh or frozen sweet potatoes with a slight adjustment in cooking time.
Gather the following ingredients:
- Sweet Potatoes – peeled and diced. Fresh or frozen can be used for this recipe.
- Apple – use your favorite variety. I had a mix of Envy and Gala. No need to peel. The skin will soften to be undetectable. Plus the skin has most of its nutrients like Vitamin K.
- Chicken sausage – I used the Aidell brand, which have a lot of flavorful options. If you can find the chicken with apple, it’s delicious!
- Onion – chopped
- Chicken broth – I use Better than Bouillon. Free free to use vegetable broth in place of the chicken.
- Seasonings – salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, Old Bay Seasoning.
You will need the following kitchen tools:
- Instant Pot – Mine is 6 quarts.
- Measuring tools – cups and spoons.
How to make this in an Instant Pot
The best part of using an Instant Pot is that there is no multiple pans needed. Put all the ingredients in the liner, then cook on manual mode for 8 minutes.
Give it a quick stir and serve up!
Are sweet potatoes healthy?
Sweet potatoes have many nutritional benefits! These spuds are full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber!
Although sweet potatoes not low carb (1/2 cup is about 20 carbs), they are what I consider good carbs, especially with all the nutrients.
- Vitamin A – good for your eye health and immune system!
- Vitamin C – good for your immune system
- Fiber – good for your gut
These are just a few of the nutrients in sweet potatoes, giving you a heathy start to your day.
Add additional toppings
Top your sweet potato breakfast bowl with additional ingredients changing the flavor profile. The options are limitless!
For a sweeter taste consider adding the following:
- Fresh fruits – more diced apples or any berry.
- Homemade Apple Sauce
- Maple syrup
- Nuts and seeds
For a savory taste try some of the following additions:
- Cooked egg
- Meat sauce
- Leftover vegetables – broccoli or cauliflower
- Shredded chicken or pork
- Shredded cheese
How to store mashed sweet potatoes?
Mashed sweet potato breakfast will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in airtight containers.
You can reheat in the microwave quickly or eat cold if you like it that way.
You can also freeze once cooked and cooled in an airtight container for up to three months.
More recipes with sweet potatoes
Can’t get enough? Check out these recipes too!
Coffee Cake with sweet potatoes and a crumple topping
- 24 oz (about 3 cups) Diced Frozen Sweet Potatoes
- 1 package (12-14 ounce) Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 2 Apples Finely Diced
- 1 TSP Seasoned Salt
- 1 Cup diced/chopped onion
- 1 TSP Pepper
- ½ Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 TSP Minced Garlic
- 1 TBSP Onion Powder
- ½ TSP Old Bay Seasoning
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot and mix well.
- Set the Instant Pot to high Pressure and 8 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release for 5 minutes then manually release the remaining pressure.
- Stir and serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 642mgCarbohydrates: 108gFiber: 17gSugar: 38gProtein: 12g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR BREAKFAST, BRUNCH AND SIDE DISH RECIPE BOARDS