Carrot cake muffins with shredded fresh carrots and warm spices. Did you see my batter mixture on The Foodie Affair Facebook page? I whipped these up because I never did get around to making my yearly bunny carrot cake. Do you know which type I’m talking about?
You take two round cooked cakes, one is for the bunny’s head and the other you carve out ears and a bow, frost it and decorate a bunny face!
It’s been an Easter tradition in our family since our kids were little, but this year they weren’t home, so no bunny creation was made! I’ve been thinking about carrot cake though, even had a delicious slice at a house warming party I went to a few weeks ago.
After glancing through a magazine, another carrot cake inspiration popped out at me in the form of a muffin! It had to be done. Carrots needed to be cook into deliciousness!
These muffins taste great on their own, but try it with plain cream cheese mixed with a little agave or honey.
I was able to add some healthier ingredients by cutting most of the all-purpose flour for oat bran and whole wheat flour. I also replaced some of the oil with applesauce.
Carrot Cake Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrots packed (about 2 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin pan by coating them with cooking spray use paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, oat bran, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and salt.
- In a sperate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients; eggs, oil, applesauce, milk, and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture until incorporated (don’t over mix). Fill each muffin cup about half way and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve with cream cheese mixed with a little agave or honey.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Recipe adapted from Woman’s World Magazine, May 13, 2013
Lightly spiced, these muffins are delicious as a dessert or for breakfast!