Delicious stuffed sausage with a flavorful tex-mex cheese mix over a bed of chipotle sauce. Lots of flavor and super filling. Make this with Italian-style sausage bake with chicken, pork or veal.
Cheesy Stuffed Sausage
EEck! So excited to share this recipe! This is one of those recipe developments that came to me while chatting with Alan about a meal that won’t send us to the kitchen right after eating!
Both Alan and I noticed that after eating dinner he would get the munchies and start grabbing what ever happened to be in his path.
He kept saying, why am I so hungry? I just ate!
Well, honestly, I didn’t think he was getting enough fat in his diet! And I know fat and protein are a great combination for feeling satisfied.
For this recipe my inspiration came from this sausage stuffed jalapeno recipe using that cheesy filling.
But I didn’t stop there, I put the sausages on chipotle sauce modified from these slow cooked meatballs recipe.
Bam! Delicious, filling and easy to make! Alan could only eat one sausage and didn’t feel hungry after eating this meal!
How To Make Stuffed Sausage With Cheese
Ready to start cooking? This recipe isn’t hard to make. In fact, it requires some mixing, assembling and then it’s ready to be cooked.
What Type Of Sausage Should I Buy?
Although there are a variety of different types of sausages; chorizo, kielbasa, andouille, bratwurst, for this recipe we want to use Italian sausage in casings.
You will find that there are a variety of meat choices as well as additional flavors added to the sausage; pork, chicken, veal. I purchased Sicilian chicken sausage from Trader Joe’s grocery store.
Also note that that in addition to the different types of sausage meats there are also varying spices adding to the flavor profile such as sweet, mild or hot.
Pick your favorite flavor profile and brand. Keep in mind that the seasonings and cheese filling will elevate the taste to a whole delicious new flavor.
You Will Need The Following Ingredients:
For the cheese filling:
- Italian sausage in casings
- Garlic salt
- Chili powder
- Cream cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese
For the chipotle sauce:
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Chipotle sauce with chopped chipotles
- Garlic powder
- Mexican oregano
Helpful Kitchen Tools:
- Sharp knife
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring spoons
- Baking dish
Steps To Make Stuffed Sausage
First you want to prepare the cheesy stuffing and the chipotle sauce in separate bowls. Mix well.
Place prepared chipotle sauce on the bottom of the baking dish.
Gently hold the sausage and with a sharp knife slice each sausage and fill with cheese mix.
Place in the baking dish and add additional cheese on top of the sausages.
Bake for about 25 minutes.
Can I Use A Different Type Of Cheese?
Yes! If you don’t care for sharp cheddar or if you don’t have it stocked in your refrigerator, then use a different type.
A Mexican mix cheese would offer a nice flavor. In addition, Colby, Monterey, Mozzarella or Pepper Jack cheese will work well in this recipe.
Can Stuffed Sausage Be Frozen?
I don’t recommend freezing these sausages after it has been cooked. The cream cheese will lose its creamy texture when defrosted.
You can store leftovers in a covered container for an additional 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
What To Serve With Stuffed Sausage?
I kept this meal super simple. I picked up a Southwestern pre-mixed salad when I was at Trader Joe’s and we also had some leftover sticky rice.
Enjoy with a refreshing cerveza or a low sugar margarita!
More Sausage Recipes To Try
Looking for more sausage dishes? Be sure to check out these recipes too:
- Sausage Queso Dip – creamy dip with lots of flavor. Serve with vegetables or your favorite crackers.
- Bangers Mash With Stout Gravy – delicious sausage cooked in a creamy sauce.
- Pork Meatballs With Orange Sauce – these pork sausage meatballs make a great appetizer.
- Rustic Harvest Stew – rich and hearty sausage and orka stew the whole family will enjoy.
- Smoked Sausage and Cheesy Rice Skillet – one pot meal with lots of vegetables. This easy dish is ready in 20 minutes.
- Shrimp and Sausage Skillet Meal – healthy 30 minute comfort food with plenty of vegetables.
- Stuffed Acorn Squash With Chicken Sausage – tender squash filled with sausage, kale, chopped leeks, and pecans for a complete healthy meal!
- 5-6 Italian sausages in casings
- CHEESE MIX
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- CHIPOTLE SAUCE
- 14 ounce fire-roasted tomatoes (diced or crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chipotles in adobo
- In a medium bowl mix with a hand blender cream cheese, cumin, garlic powder and chili powder until well combined.
- Fold in 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together fire roasted tomatoes, garlic powder, oregano and chipotles.
- Place chipotle sauce on the bottom of a 8"X5" baking dish.
- Slice each sausage vertically and gently add about 2 tablespoons of cheese mix. Place in baking dish.
- Top sausages with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350•F for 25 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 656Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 1236mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 36g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR LOW CARB, KETO, MEXICAN AND ITALIAN-STYLE DINNER BOARDS