Refreshing cabbage salad recipe with bean sprouts, feta cheese, cranberries, and sliced almonds with a simple balsamic dressing.
Remember when I shared this Poutine Gravy Fries dish that I replicated after visiting Canada? Well, at the same pub that we ate those scrumptious fries I ordered a salad similar to this Cabbage Salad with Bean Sprouts, but they called it “Black Frog Salad!” lol
I asked the server what the significance was and she didn’t have an answer, which I was bummed about because there has to be a story behind a name like that, right?! The only connection that I can think of is maybe the bean sprouts resemble the spindly legs of a frog? I don’t know! Any guesses?
I liked that this salad is made with simple ingredients; homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing, almond slices, bean sprouts (frog legs?), followed with a punch of tang from the feta cheese. The crunchy textures work quite well together. It was a good choice to order an indulgent dish like poutine with a refreshing salad!
I think this salad is very close to the version we ate at the restaurant. I’ve made it a half dozen times already. Sam thought it needed to be a little sweetener and suggested adding dried cranberries. He was right! Salty and sweet flavors are always a winning combination!
Cabbage Salad Recipe with Bean Sprouts
- 1/2 head of large green cabbage thinly sliced
- 4 ounces bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweetener (honey or sugar alternative)
- For the dressing whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, sweetener and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large salad bowl combine cabbage, bean sprouts and feta cheese. Pour desired about of dressing over the salad and then toss in the feta cheese and cranberries. Serve immediately.