Refreshing cabbage salad recipe with bean sprouts, feta cheese, cranberries, and sliced almonds with a simple balsamic dressing.
Cabbage Salad Recipe
Remember when I shared this Poutine Gravy Fries dish that I replicated after visiting Canada?
Well, at the same pub that we ate those scrumptious fries I ordered a salad similar to this Cabbage Salad with Bean Sprouts, but they called it “Black Frog Salad!” lol
I asked the server what the significance was and she didn’t have an answer, which I was bummed about because there has to be a story behind a name like that, right?!
The only connection that I can think of is maybe the bean sprouts resemble the spindly legs of a frog? I don’t know! Any guesses?
I liked that this salad is made with simple ingredients; homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing, almond slices, bean sprouts (frog legs?), followed with a punch of tang from the feta cheese.
The crunchy textures work quite well together.
It was a good choice to order an indulgent dish like poutine with a refreshing salad!
I think this salad is very close to the version we ate at the restaurant.
I’ve made it a half dozen times already. Sam thought it needed to be a little sweetener and suggested adding dried cranberries.
He was right! Salty and sweet flavors are always a winning combination!
Cabbage Salad Recipe with Bean Sprouts
- 1/2 head of large green cabbage thinly sliced
- 4 ounces bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sweetener honey or sugar alternative
- For the dressing whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, sweetener and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large salad bowl combine cabbage, bean sprouts and feta cheese. Pour desired about of dressing over the salad and then toss in the feta cheese and cranberries. Serve immediately.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.