Cheesy Sausage Stuffed Jalapeños with the perfect amount of flavor to tease your tastebuds! Great idea for a heartier appetizer or turn these into a meal and enjoy with a margarita!
Sausage Stuffed Jalapeños Recipe
These jalapeños delicious with just enough flavorful heat to tease your taste buds into spicy happiness, and wishing for a cold brew or margarita!
Do certain foods remind you of events or situations? They do for me. Whenever I see jalapeños I can’t help thinking about my dad.
As a kid, I remember my dad and uncles having jalapeño tasting events. They would gather a variety of jalapeños from the garden and take bites right into the heart of pepper, and start chewing it up. All the wimpy jalapeno eaters (me) would all watch for their reaction!
According to the guys, the hotter the better, and if the jalapeno made you perspire, then that pepper was a winner!! Haha. Entertainment before YouTube, TikTok and all the other platforms we have now.
This recipe is simple to make and there is no better way to pay tribute to my dad and uncles than to prepare some cheesy sausage stuffed jalapenos!
How to make cheesy sausage stuffed jalapeños
This recipe takes no time to put together. You are going to cook the sausage and bacon first, then slice, dice, mix, and bake!
Gather the following ingredients:
- Jalapeños – Try to pick similar size peppers so they cook evenly. Also, be careful when slicing the jalapenos and cleaning the center. Remember that seeds isn’t where capsaicin is. The details about where the heat comes from is in this tomatillo salsa verde recipe post.
- Cheese – Cream cheese and sharp cheddar cheese shredded. Want to mix it up? Use a Mexican cheese blend.
- Scallion – Dice up both the white and green parts.
- Spices – Cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika
- Sausage – Regular pork sausage roll like Jimmy Dean or ground pork. The spices adds the flavor to plain sausage. However, you can try a variety of seasoned sausage if you want.
- Bacon (optional) – Add a little more flavor with bacon. I crumbled it on top, but you can also wrap it around the sliced jalapeños.
- Panko, breadcrumbs or pork rinds- Want to keep this keto and low carb? Grind up some pork rinds and use in place of the panko.
- Butter – Melted butter holds the topping together.
Prepare the Jalapeños
First you are going to clean the jalapeños and slice them in half removing as much or little of the membrane as you want. Set aside.
Cook Sausage and Bacon
Next cook the sausage and bacon and set aside.
Mix together the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder spices with the cream cheese. Fold in the shredded cheese and sausage. Fold in the shredded cheese, sausage and scallions.
In a separate small bowl mix together the panko (or pork rind) with the paprika and butter. This will be added to the top of each sausage stuffed jalapeños.
Assemble and Bake Sausage Stuffed Jalapeños
Spoon the cheese mix into the halved jalapenos and place on the prepared baking sheet. Top with cooked bacon. Bake for 15 minutes before enjoying and serve with a cool beverage.
If serving for guests and you want to have an appetizer without the heat, then offer with this creamy sausage queso dip!
More Recipes With Jalapeños
Looking for more ways to use jalapeños? Be sure to check out these recipes too:
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken – This casserole dish is a family favorite meal. Hearty and flavorful that is perfect for low carb and keto diet followers.
- Pork Chops with Peach Jalapeno Sauce – Add a delicious sauce over pan cooked pork chops.
- Halibut with Jalapeno butter – Cook the fish on the grill for a quick meal. The spicy sauce is fabulous over halibut.
- Cheddar Jalapeno Beer Bread – Turn a loaf of bread into a spicy gooey cheese appetizer. This is a crowd pleaser.
Frequently asked questions
Can you freeze sausage stuffed jalapeños?
Yes! In fact, I suggest freezing these stuffed jalapenos to enjoy any time of day. You will want to place on a baking sheet to flash freeze for an hour before placing in an airtight freezer container or bag. Keep frozen up to 6 months.
To cook after freezing, place on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Bake at 425°F degrees for 10-15 minutes.
Can you cook stuffed jalapeños in an air fryer?
Yes! To cook these sausage stuffed jalapeños in an air fryer place in the basket in a single layer. Air fry at 400°F degrees for 6 minutes.
This post was first shared June, 2013 as a Father’s day recipe to honor of my dad, the man who reminds me that family comes first, to never quit learning, and to remember that for every “no” there will eventually be a “yes”.
Most memorable is that I can be and do anything I want, I just have to want it bad enough 🙂 This recipe was updated July, 2021 with new photos and updated text.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounce sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 2 scallions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 6 jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 3 cooked bacon slices, cut in half (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (smoked preferably)
- 1/2 cup panko or plain breadcrumbs
Add some BACON! Pre-cook it so that it's still soft and pliable. Wrap a half slice over the jalapeño after it is cook or chopped the bacon up in pieces and place on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 573mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Recipe adapted from The Californian, June 11, 2013
PIN TO YOUR WEEKNIGHT DINNER, HOLIDAY, THANKSGIVING, LOW CARB AND KETO RECIPE BOARDS