Sausage queso dip is made with real cheese on the stove top. Dive into this creamy appetizer with your favorite chips or keep it low carb with vegetables. This is a family favorite party dip to serve for game day noshing!
Table of Contents
Sausage Queso (Cheese) Dip
Looking for a quick and easy dip that is so delicious you’ll be tempted to eat it by the spoonful? This is THAT recipe!
Hearty appetizers are perfect to share with a crowd for any get together, but once this recipe is made for your family and friends be prepared to be the official cheese dip maker!
Everyone devours this dip even when there are several other munchie options to choose from!
I serve this dip in two mini cast iron skillet pans and position them on opposite sides of the table in an attempt to everyone gets their fair share of cheesy goodness. Hey, at least I try, right?
The best part of this dip is that it’s simple to make, and you will only need one large skillet our saucepan.
- Ground pork sausage – you can use your favorite brand of sausage. I used Premio brand of sausage, which I also used for this low carb biscuits and sausage gravy recipe. Premio has quickly become my favorite sausage! It’s so tasty!
- Petite tomatoes with green chilies like the Rotel brand
- Cream cheese – you can use full fat or low fat cheese, either option is fine. This ingredients is the key to a melty cheese dip.
- Real Mexican cheese blend, NOT processed velveeta cheese – I use the already shredded mix, but you can shred the cheese yourself mixing cheddar, monterey jack with mozarella cheese
There are no spices added in the ingredient list because all the flavor comes from the food! Here are the best tips when you make a perfect dip.
- Pick a good quality sausage that isn’t made with any fillers like rice, flour, potato starch or breadcrumbs.
- Rotel brand has chilis mixed the the tomatoes. If you can’t find Rotel, then buy a small can of diced chiles or dice a fresh jalapeno for a spicy dip.
- Look at the ingredients on the can of tomatoes, and pick a brand without any added sugar to keep this appetizer low carb.
- Top with sliced
Customize to your preference with extra heat
You can always add some extra heat if you want this dip to be extra spicy by using spicy sausage. Look at the ingredient list for chili flakes or find a brand that markets itself with a HOT sausage label.
Another way to add spicy flavor is to add your favorite chili powder.
Sausage Queso Dip Is Keto Friendly
There is a bonus to this sausage cheese dip recipe too. It’s low carb and keto friendly! Just as long as you keep the chips off your plate, and enjoy your portion with celery or any other keto friendly vegetable or cracker then go ahead and munch away!
Pork rinds are my favorite thing to pair with this dip when I want to stay low carb.
It won’t be long before this appetizer fills you up though, so you may consider this dish your complete meal.
If you want a little something to follow this dip, this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup will keep the Mexican flavor theme going strong!
Sausage Queso Dip
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 14.5 ounce petite tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 8 ounce block cream cheese
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend
- On medium-high heat In a medium saucepan cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain excess oil and add the tomatoes and green chilies. Cut the cream cheese in 6 pieces and add to the mixture. Stir and cook until creamy. Add the cheese and cook until melted. Serve with chips or vegetables.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.