Mexican-style slow cooked meatballs in a flavorful chipotle sauce. Enjoy as a main meal or serve these crockpot meatballs as an appetizer!
Slow Cooked Meatballs In Chipotle Sauce
These Latin flavored meatballs are full of flavor, and such a nice change from the traditional style of meatballs.
Mexican meatballs in chipotle sauce definitely has a zesty spiciness that tantalizes your tastebuds, but they’re not so hot that you’re guzzling a gallon of water.
Winter Blog Hop
Before I tell you more about where this recipe came from, I thought I would share a bit about our Freaky Friday Winter blog hop!
This event is a recipe swap organized by my friend Michaela from An Affair From The Heart.
What is Freaky Friday? Well, the blog hop concept is based from the Disney movie staring Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsey Lohan. Michaela assigns each of us a blogging buddy in secret.
We pick a recipe and cook from one another’s blogs, then we reveal what we made! Today is the day I get to share what I made, slow cooked meatballs!!
Crockpot Meatballs From Hostess At Heart!
I’m so happy to introduce you to Julie from Hostess At Heart the creator behind this delicious recipe as well as hundreds more scrumptious dishes!
Julie loves to entertain and shares her favorite recipes that she serves her family and friends with her readers. She likes to use seasonal easy to find ingredients and cooks simple dishes.
I found so many that are super healthy (she shared her weight loss success in this baked blackened salmon recipe) as well as some decadent treats.
Grab a cup of coffee and go through her blog…there is something for everyone. Here are a few recipes that are on my must-make list:
- Homemade Lemon Ricotta with Honey
- Balsamic Tomato Chutney Recipe
- Beef Stroganoff
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken Bowl Recipe
- Swedish Apple Pie
I could go on and on! Julie has so many delicious recipes! First, let’s make some meatballs.
HOW TO COOK CROCK POT MEATBALLS
- In a large bowl add the meat (beef and pork), spices, breadcrumbs* lightly beaten eggs and milk.
- Hand mix until combined.
- Scoop meat into tablespoon portions and place on a baking sheet.
- Lightly brown all sides of the meatballs in a tablespoon of oil and set aside.
- Place tomatoes, chicken broth, chipotles in adobo sauce in a slow cooker
- Add meatballs and coat with sauce.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
Note* you can substitute Panko for breadcrumbs. For strict low carb followers, I recommend using ground pork rinds.
SHOULD YOU BROWN THE MEATBALLS BEFORE PUTTING IN A SLOW COOKER?
Browning the meatballs helps the meat from becoming too soft and falling apart while cooking. I highly recommend this step. It takes just a few more minutes.
If you absolutely do not want to brown the meat, then add an extra hour to the cooking time, and don’t be tempted to stir the meatballs while cooking.
HOW TO COOK CROCKPOT MEATBALLS IN AN INSTANT POT
Since so many of us are new Instant Pot owners I thought I would also include the instructions on how to make these meatballs in an Instant Pot.
Follow the same 1-6 steps above, except when placing in an IP use the MANUAL setting and set the timer for 10 minutes.
I made these meatballs using both methods and each time they cooked perfectly!
WHAT GOES GOOD WITH CROCKPOT MEATBALLS
- Enjoy as an appetizer and eat them as they are
- Serve over noodles or zoodles
- Put in bread like a sandwich, a Mexican torta
- Serve over mock mashed potatoes (cauliflower)
- Place over baked Idaho or sweet potatoes
- Make a bowl with rice and vegetables
- Small meatballs can be made into lettuce wraps
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 lbs ground pork
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs, Panko or pork rinds*
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 28 ounce fire-roasted tomatoes (diced or crushed)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 3 chipotles in adobo chopped
- cilantro for garnish
In a small bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine meats, bread crumbs, chili powder, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Add egg mix and mix well.
Scoop tablespoon size meatballs and place on a baking sheet.
Over medium heat add 1 tablespoon of oil and brown meatballs in small batches. Remove from heat.
Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Stir in tomatoes, chipotle peppers, chicken broth, garlic, oregano and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
Add meatballs and gently coat with tomato mix. Cook on high for 3 hours.
Garnish with fresh cilantro.
*Panko can be used instead of bread crumbs. Stick low carb followers can use ground pork rinds in place of the bread crumbs.
Serving Size:3 meatballs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 377mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 20g
Take a look at all of our Winter Freaky Friday Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Coconut Mug Cake
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Creamy Gorgonzola Pasta with Steak
- Bowl Me Over – Best Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Hostess at Heart – Chili Con Carne
- Kylee Cooks – Banana Cream Parfaits
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – Chicken Bacon Penne Alfredo Casserole
- Lemon Blossoms – Valentine’s Day Dessert Nachos
- Mildly Meandering – Tiramisu Latte
- House of Nash Eats – Philly Cheesesteak Dip
- Seduction in the Kitchen – Chicken Lime Soup
- Take Two Tapas – Taco Tater Tots
- The Foodie Affair – Slow Cooked Meatballs
- The Speckled Palate – Boozy Bacon Pretzel Peanut Butter Bars
- West Via Midwest – Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Who Needs a Cape? – Cajun Chicken Meatballs in Cajun Cream Sauce