Low Carb Cheese Ball Recipe
This Low Carb Cheese ball recipe is full of flavor and can be made in minutes. It’s the perfect appetizer for a party or game day, and it’s also great as an after school snack. With only a few ingredients, this simple recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
Table of Contents
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s low in carbs and loaded with flavor. Making it a great snack when you are on a low-carb diet or the keto diet.
- It’s easy to make and comes together quickly and you only need basic ingredients.
- You can customize it to suit your taste preferences.
- Kids love this snack because it’s delicious! Making this homemade cheese ball a great idea for parties and gatherings.
- One of the easiest appetizers that you will ever make.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this creamy low-carb snack recipe. Grab these kitchen tools and get ready to enjoy this savory snack.
- large mixing bowl
- hand mixer
- plastic wrap
- serving tray
You only need a handful of ingredients to help you make this low carb cheese ball recipe. All of these ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store which can help save you money, by not needing a trip to any specialty store. Gather these ingredients and get ready to enjoy this tasty meal.
- pecans, chopped
- green onions, chopped
- cream cheese, room temperature
- garlic cloves, minced
- hot pepper sauce
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- chopped parsley, finely chopped
- Assorted crackers and sliced vegetables
HOW TO MAKE THIS LOW CARB CHEESE BALL RECIPE
Making this cheese ball is so simple. Just follow in the instructions below and you will a tangy and delicious low carb snack in no time at all.
STEP 1: TOAST THE PECANS
Toast pecans – place pecans on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Remove from the oven to cool.
STEP 2: MIX TOGETHER THE CREAM CHEESE AND SEASONINGS
In a large mixing bowl add cream cheese, onions, mustard, garlic and hot pepper sauce. Beat with an electric mixer a low speed for about 3 minutes. Stir in cheddar cheese.
STEP 3: MIX TOGETHER UNTIL WELL BLENDED
Mix the cream cheese mixture together until it is well blended and the seasonings are evenly distributed.
STEP 4: SHAPE THE CHEESE
Shape cheese ball into one large ball or two medium balls and wrap in plastic wrap. You can also make 1 inch mini cheese balls. Place mini balls on a platter and cover all the balls with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
STEP 5: GARNISH THE CHEESE BALL OR CHEESE BALL BITES
Place pecans and chopped parsley on a baking sheet or large piece of parchment paper. Unwrap refrigerated cheese ball and roll into parsley/pecan mixture.
If you made mini cheese ball bites, you can garnish them all with the same garnish or change up the garnish. Get creative! Here are some ideas:
- Chopped crispy bacon or bacon bites
- Dried cherries or cranberries
- Your favorite chopped nuts
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
STEP 6: SERVE AND ENJOY
Serve with crackers and vegetables. Rewrap in saran wrap and place back in the refrigerator if not serving right away.
WHAT TO SERVE
Serve this cheese ball with your favorite low carb crackers or chips. My favorite low carb crackers are the High Key Sea Salt Crackers. You could also serve this with celery or carrot sticks or even your favorite fruit slices like apples.
You also might want to include this Apple Spice Cream Cheese Ball to add a sweeter flavor on your appetizer table.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Here are a few substitutions that you can make to personalize your cheese ball.
- Instead of chopped pecans you could use other nuts such as walnuts, almonds or macadamia nuts.
- Use different cheese options such as Monterey Jack or Swiss cheese or a cheese blend instead of cheddar.
- Feel free to add additional seasonings like chives, fresh dill, garlic powder, or even oregano to this cream cheese ball for even more great flavor.
- You could also change your garnish, and use things like everything bagel seasoning, crispy bacon, green onions, dried fruit like cranberries, crushed low carb tortilla chips, red peppers, or even more shredded cheese.
- Add a pretzel stick to mini cheese ball bites. Just be sure to add the pretzels right before serving so they don’t get soggy.
- A dash of Worcestershire sauce would add a deep rich flavor or a splash of hot sauce for a little spice.
HOW TO STORE A LOW CARB CHEESE BALL
Store cheese balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also freeze cheese balls for up to 3 months. Simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and serve chilled or at room temperature.
Do you have questions about this low carb cheese ball recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this easy recipe.
I like to allow the cheese ball to soften slightly before I serve it so that it spreads easily. Sit it out about 20 minutes before you plan to serve it to allow it warm slightly.
Yes, one of my favorite things about making a cheese ball is that it’s great made a day or two ahead. And, if you ask me it tastes even better when it’s done that way because the flavors have more time to meld together.
No one really knows for sure. However, legend has it that a Massachusetts farmer created the first cheese ball in recorded history in 1801 and presented to President Jefferson at the White House.
I don’t recommend using a food processor because it can crush your add in too finely. If you don’t want to use a mixer you can mix it by hand.
MORE SMALL BITES TO TRY
- Baked Artichoke Balls – these are made with cheese and lightly coated with Panko.
- Soy Chorizo Cheddar Balls – A delicious appetizer for your vegetarian guests.
- Rice Pork Balls – also known as porcupine balls with an Asian flare.
OTHER DELICIOUS LOW CARB RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- Low carb pancakes – perfect way to start the day1
- Cauliflower Mash – a copycat mashed potato dish low carb style.
- Low Carb Chicken Parmesan – this will become a favorite recipe the whole family likes.
Low Carb Cheese Ball Recipe
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 2/3 cup green onions chopped
- 2 8- ounce cream cheese room temperature
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup parsley finely chopped
Assorted Crackers, Vegetables or Fruit
- Pork Rinds
- Celery Sticks
- Sliced Apples
- Baked Tortilla Chips
- Assorted Crackers
- Toast Pecans
- place pecans on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Remove from the oven to cool, then chop into small pieces.
- Cheese Ball
- In a large mixing bowl add cream cheese, onions, mustard, garlic and hot pepper sauce. Beat with an electric mixer a low speed for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in shredded cheddar cheese.
- Shape cheese ball into one large ball or two medium balls and wrap in plastic wrap. You can also make 1 inch mini cheese balls. Place mini balls on a platter and cover all the balls with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place pecans and chopped parsley on a baking sheet or large piece of parchment paper.
- Unwrap refrigerated cheese ball and roll into parsley/pecan mixture. Serve with crackers, sliced vegetables or apples. Rewrap in saran wrap and place back in the refrigerator if not serving right away.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.