This Baked zucchini squash recipe is a delicious and easy side dish to make for your next dinner party. It’s perfect for any occasion during the summer months, and it’s sure to be a hit with your guests! Plus, this recipe is healthy and low-carb, so you can indulge without feeling guilty. So why not give it a try? You won’t be disappointed!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
I don’t know about you, but I can’t get enough of summer squash. It’s so versatile and delicious – perfect for eating on its own or incorporating into recipes. This baked zucchini squash recipe is one of my favorites. If you are looking for a new way to use the zucchini and yellow squash from your home garden, look no further than this perfect summer side dish recipe.
- This easy-baked zucchini squash recipe is healthy, flavorful, and so simple to make!
- This recipe features fresh zucchini squash baked with olive oil, garlic, and simple spices. It’s the perfect veggie side dish for any meal!
- Perfect low carb side dish. Zucchini is only 3.9 carbs and 21 calories per cup!
- If you are looking for a great way to use up leftover garden vegetables then this is the recipe for you.
If you love squash recipes, next time give this Butternut Squash Pasta recipe a try!
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this easy recipe. You should already have these tools in the kitchen as no special equipment is needed for this simple recipe.
- knife and cutting board
- 9×13 casserole dish or rimmed sheet pan
- large bowl
- parchment paper
This easy recipe only requires a few simple ingredients that you may already have on hand in your pantry. If not, after one quick trip to your local grocery store, you will be ready to make this delicious dish.
- yellow squash
- onion, diced
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- shredded parmesan cheese
HOW TO MAKE THIS BAKED SQUASH RECIPE
Making this easy side dish recipe is so easy. Follow the simple steps below and you will have a delicious family favorite side dish in no time at all.
STEP 1: PREHEAT THE OVEN AND PREPARE A BAKING DISH
Preheat the oven to 450°F degrees. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP 2: WASH, DRY, AND SLICE THE SQUASH
2. Wash and dry zucchini and squash. Remove ends with a sharp knife and slice into ½” thick rounds.
STEP 3: SEASON THE VEGETABLES
3. In a large mixing bowl add the sliced zucchini, yellow squash, and diced onion. Season the vegetables with oil, garlic, shredded parmesan, salt, and pepper.
STEP 4: GENTLY MIX TOGETHER THE VEGETABLES
4. Gently fold ingredients coating the sliced zucchini and squash.
STEP 5: LAYER THE ZUCCHINI IN A BAKING DISH
5. Place zucchini slices in a single layer in a prepared baking dish (some overlap is ok).
STEP 6: ROAST THE ZUCCHINI IN THE OVEN
6. Roast in the oven for 7 minutes. Check for doneness every two minutes.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BAKED SQUASH
Are you wondering what to serve with this simple recipe? Here are a few of my favorite dishes to serve with this tasty side dish.
- chicken skewers
- cheese stuffed sausage
- easy meatloaf
- keto chicken thighs
- pan seared steak
- Mississippi pot roast
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
This healthy side dish recipe is very versatile. Feel free to mix up the ingredients to make it your own. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add other vegetables: feel free to add other chopped vegetables such as carrots, celery, or bell peppers.
- Make it spicier: if you like things with a little more heat you can add red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or your favorite hot sauce.
- Add herbs: want to give this recipe an herb flavor? Try adding fresh herbs or dried oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, or thyme.
- Swap out the cheese: not a fan of parmesan cheese? You could use shredded mozzarella, cheddar cheese, or pepper jack cheese.
- Oils: I used olive oil but you can use vegetable oil or avocado oil if you prefer.
HOW TO STORE
Leftover squash can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. I do not recommend freezing as the texture of the squash will change because of the high water content in the squash.
Reheat this vegetable side dish in the microwave for 30-60 seconds or in a 350° degree oven for 5-7 minutes.
Do you have questions about this easy side dish recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
I like to bake my squash and zucchini for 7 minutes. I find this to be the perfect amount of time to get tender roasted vegetables without overcooking them.
Zucchini can last in the fridge for up to four days when stored in an airtight container.
Technically, yes, you can freeze raw zucchini. However, I’ve found that frozen squash gets watery and mushy, so I don’t recommend using frozen squash for this recipe.
Yes, you can double this recipe but I suggest that you use a large rimmed baking sheet so that you have room for all the zucchini chips on the baking tray.
OTHER GREAT RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- 1 pound zucchini, 1/2" sliced rounds
- 1 pound yellow squash, 1/2" sliced rounds
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry zucchini and squash. Remove ends with a sharp knife and slice into ½” thick rounds.
- In a large mixing bowl add the sliced zucchini, yellow squash, and diced onion. Season the vegetables with the oil, garlic, shredded parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Gently fold ingredients coating the sliced zucchini and squash.
- Place zucchini in a single layer in prepared baking dish.
- Roast in the oven for 7 minutes. Check for doneness every two minutes.
1 pound is about 3 medium squash or zucchini each.
Instead of garlic powder you can use 2 garlic cloves, diced.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 409mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.