This Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet is a flavorful, family friendly one pot meal that is loaded with tender beef and juicy cabbage and it can be on your table in 30 minutes or less. This dish is naturally gluten free, low-carb and is sure to become a regular on your menu rotation!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll This Recipe
This ground beef and cabbage skillet has so many reasons to love it!
- It’s quick and easy which makes it perfect for busy weeknights.
- And, it’s loaded with lean protein, fiber-filled veggies and healthy fats.
- It’s full of seasonings which makes gives this one-pot dish a burst of savory flavors.
- This is the perfect low carb and keto friendly meal that the whole family will enjoy.
- You only need a few basic ingredients to help you make this delicious dish.
To make this simple skillet meal you only need a few kitchen tools. Grab these tools and get ready to enjoy this cheesy cabbage casserole! The whole family will love this easy dinner!
- Dutch oven or large cast-iron skillet, which I love using and if you’re interested in learning more about cooking with cast iron check this post (ten reasons to try cast iron cookware).
- Wooden spoon or tongs for sautéing.
Making this low-carb skillet only requires a few simple ingredients. The best part about this skillet is that all of these ingredients are budget-friendly and easy to find at your local grocery store. You may even already have some of these ingredients on hand, which can save you a trip to the store.
- ground beef
- cabbage – I like to slice my own, but you could purchase a pre-cut bag of cabbage.
- taco seasoning
- shredded cheese
- minced onion
- salt and pepper
How to Make This Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet Recipe
Are you ready to make this low carb meal? Just follow these simple instructions and you will have a hearty family-friendly meal that’s perfect for busy days in no time at all.
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Step 2: Saute the cabbage
In a large skillet add 1 tablespoon of butter and saute cabbage on medium high heat until the cabbage softens. Remove from heat and place cabbage in a separate dish.
Step 3: Brown the ground beef
In the same skillet add the remaining tablespoon of butter and cook ground beef breaking up meat as it cooks. Add taco seasoning, onion and stir until meat is cooked. If the meat is dry add up to 1/4 cup of water.
Step 4: Add the cheese and cabbage to the skillet
Return cabbage to skillet and season with salt and pepper. Fold in 1/2 cup of cheese.
Step 5: Brown the top of the cheese
Top skillet with remaining cheese and place in the oven. Cook until cheese melts (10 minutes).
What To Serve With This Dish
This hearty meal is amazing on it’s own, however you could also serve with it healthy veggies such as Baked Zucchini Squash. I also enjoy ending a keto-friendly meal like this one, with a dessert such as these Keto Cheesecake Brownies.
Substitutions and Additions
This dish is so versatile, that you can make a few small modifications to customize it to your family’s tastes. No matter what you choose to add or subtract from this skillet meal, your family will love it!
- You could add additional vegetables such as bell peppers or carrots.
- You could also swap out ground beef for another type of ground meat such as ground turkey or italian sausage.
- And if you need this meal to be vegetarian then swapping the ground beef for your favorite meatless product would work as well.
- You could also try adding a different type of cheese, such as cheddar cheese or even Parmesan.
- Add a hint of spice to this dish with a sprinkle of chili powder, diced jalapeños, diced green chili or your favorite hot sauce.
- If you want to add a little more flavor to this dish, you can add in soy sauce, coconut aminos, minced cloves of garlic, green onions, sesame oil, italian seasoning, or a splash of hoisin sauce.
- Add a can of beans (if you aren’t limiting your carbs)
- Mix in some spicy tomatoes like Rotel
- Top with sliced olives, a dollop of guacamole or avocado cream sauce
How To Store
Storage – Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I don’t recommending freezing this dish, and I doubt you will have leftovers to consider that option.
Reheating – Reheat in the microwave for about 1 minute or until warm all the way through. Or you could also reheat on the stovetop in a skillet over low heat until warm.
Sandra’s Pro Tips
Do you want to make sure that this recipe turns out perfectly every time that you make it? Here are a few tips that you can use.
- If you to save a little time in the kitchen then you can use pre-shredded cabbage.
- You could also cook the cabbage in bacon grease to increase the flavor. Or you could use a mixture of bacon grease and butter.
- You don’t have to stick with one type of cheese, try adding in a variety for different flavors and textures.
- If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, make sure that this skillet is oven-safe before you add it to the oven.
- Give the cabbage and beef mixture a little taste to make sure that it suit your tastebuds before you add the remaining cheese and melt it.
Do you have questions about this easy meal? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this quick dinner recipe.
I recommend that you season the beef after you brown it. Seasoning before will dry the moisture out and give you a dry beef.
Yes, but I recommend that you saute the onions while you are browning the beef so that they cook through.
Yes, you can freeze cooked cabbage. Place the cooled cabbage in a freezer-safe bag and store for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stovetop or microwave.
Other Delicious Recipes You May Enjoy
- If you are looking for another healthy yet delicious skillet meal recipe, look no further than these Skillet Pork Chops. They turn out juicy, tender and flavorful every time that you make them.
- Do you want to spice up your meal rotation? This Tex Mex shredded beef, yet filled with Southwest flavor!
- Did you know that you can whip up delicious desserts in your skillets? Why only use them for savory foods when you can make some chocolatey goodness like this Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookie Skillet.
Give this low carb Mexican Beef Cabbage Soup a try too!
Tex Mex Ground Beef and Cabbage Skillet Recipe
- 1/2 head green cabbage sliced in shreds
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican Cheese Blend
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet add 1 tablespoon of butter and saute cabbage on medium high heat until the cabbage softens. Remove from heat and place cabbage in a separate dish.
- In the same skillet add the remaining tablespoon of butter and cook ground beef breaking up meat as it cooks. Add taco seasoning, onion and stir until meat is cooked. If the meat is dry add up to 1/4 cup of water.
- Return cabbage to skillet and season with salt and pepper. Fold in 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Top skillet with remaining cheese and place in the oven. Cook until cheese melts (10 minutes).
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.