Ground beef and cabbage skillet recipe, Tex Mex Style with Mexican Cheese Blend! This low carb flavorful meal is ready in under thirty minutes!
Tex Mex Cabbage Beef Skillet Recipe
Do you have an cast iron skillet? It’s the most versatile pan in the house. There are some healthy benefits too (ten reasons to try cast iron cookware). Use it to cook up your ingredients on the stovetop, and the same skillet can go straight in the oven!
There is a bonus too! You will get a good arm workout lugging that skillet around!
No joke. Cast iron skillets are HEAVY, so factor less time at the gym.
This skillet also retains the heat nicely, so your food will stay warmer longer. That’s important for cooks. How many times have you finally sat down to eat with the family and your food is already cool?
Ingredients Needed For This Skillet Meal
This is a simple flavorful meal that is easily customized to turn into your own masterpiece. Start with these ingredients:
- ground beef
- taco seasoning
- shredded cheese
- minced onion
- salt and pepper
Ground Beef and Cabbage Stovetop to Oven Recipe
and straight to the table to be plated up…nice and warm!
I seasoned the beef with my homemade taco seasoning mix, and instead of dicing up some onion I used a teaspoon of dried onion, and lots of cheese topped the whole dish!!
Simple, simple, and so flavorful! Most evenings dinner turns into leftovers for lunch, buuuh
There is a BUT coming…
Once we filled our bowls I put the skillet back in the oven and forgot to turn off the oven. Sigh. Between the skillet retaining heat like a mini oven and the extra cooking time, I was left with a charred cabbage beef skillet meal!
Good thing this recipes calls for half a head of cabbage. The other portion will be cooked up right away!
As mentioned earlier, this recipe is easily adaptable to what you have in your pantry as well as your personal taste. Consider adding the following:
- diced green chili
- beans (if you aren’t limiting your carbs)
- spicy tomatoes like Rotel
- sliced olives
- avocado cream sauce
Try these other skillet recipes!
- Beef and Pepper Skillet Simple ground beef recipe with instant brown rice for a quick 30 minute meal.
- Salisbury Steak Supreme Ground beef steaks with a brown gravy sauce.
- Pork Chops with Mushroom Cream Sauce – This meal is made with caramelized onions, baby bella mushrooms and finished with a dash of heavy cream.
Give this low carb Mexican Beef Cabbage Soup a try too!
- 1/2 head green cabbage, sliced in shreds
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican Cheese Blend
- salt and pepper to taste
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 367 Net Carbohydrates: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g