Have you ever wondered How To Saute Sweet Potatoes in a Skillet? If, so have no fear this recipe is here to help! They are easy to make, taste amazing, ready in under 20 minutes, and make an excellent side dish to go with your favorite dinner recipes.
You also might like this Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Sage recipe too.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- This easy side dish is a great way to save space in the oven for dinner or holiday meals.
- It only takes 15 minutes to have a delicious side dish on the table!
- You can customize this recipe with different seasonings and spices to suit your tastebuds.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this simple side dish recipe. Gather the tools that you need
- knife and cutting board
- vegetable peeler – optional
- small bowl
- large bowl
- large skillet or cast-iron skillet
Making these sauteed sweet potatoes only requires a few simple ingredients. You will also need a few seasonings, which vary depending if you want sweet or savory spices on your potatoes. All of these ingredients are available at your local grocery store.
- sweet potatoes, scrubbed and diced in 1/2″ cubes
- olive oil
- poultry seasoning (pre-mixed) – if you made my recipe then you are all set with this! If not, grab the below spices.
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground black pepper
- rosemary or sage
- brown sugar
- ground nutmeg
- ground cinnamon
HOW TO SAUTE SWEET POTATOES IN A SKILLET
Making these sauteed sweet potatoes is so simple. Just follow the instructions below and you will tasty side dish that your entire family will love in no time at all.
STEP 1: WASH AND SCRUB THE SWEET POTATOES
Wash and scrub sweet potatoes, peel the skin if desired.
STEP 2: DICE THE SWEET POTATOES
Dice sweet potatoes into 1/2-1 inch square cubes.
STEP 3: MIX TOGETHER THE SPICES
In a small mixing bowl whisk together either sweet or savory spices, and set aside.
STEP 4: SEASON THE SWEET POTATOES
In a large mixing bowl add the diced sweet potatoes and season with savory or sweet spices. Mix with a spatula coating each side of the potato.
STEP 5: HEAT THE OIL AND BUTTER
Add oil and butter to a large cast iron skillet and turn the heat to medium. When the butter has melted add prepared sweet potatoes to the skillet in a single layer.
STEP 6: COOK THE SWEET POTATOES UNTIL TENDER
Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip to the other side. Repeat every 2-3 minutes until all sides are fork tender.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SWEET POTATOES
I love to serve savory recipes like these Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs, Baked Turkey Thighs or this Easy Baked Zucchini recipe with these tasty sweet potatoes.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Here are a few ways that you change up the flavors in this dish.
- For a little extra flavor, you can add in some fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley, or even basil.
- You can also try adding diced bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, or garlic to the potatoes while cooking.
- If you want a vegan version, simply omit the butter and use double oil or use a vegan butter substitute.
- Instead of olive oil, you can use avocado oil, or coconut oil if you prefer.
- If you want to add a touch of heat to this sweet potato recipe, you can add a dash of cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, or chili powder.
- You can also use regular potatoes to make this simple recipe.
Here are a few tips to make use that your crispy sweet potatoes turn out perfectly every time that you make them.
- If you decide to peel the sweet potatoes, save the sweet potato skins in a freezer-safe bag for the next time that you make homemade vegetable stock.
- 1/2-inch cubes work best for this quick side dish, but you can make them as large as 1-inch cubes you will need to adjust the cooking time if you are using larger cubes.
- Leftovers of these sweet potatoes make a delicious breakfast hash when topped with a fried egg.
HOW TO STORE
These sauteed sweet potatoes will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Store them in an airtight container or a ziplock bag.
To reheat, simply place in a skillet with a tablespoon of butter and cook over medium heat until warm.
You can also freeze these sweet potatoes for up to 1 month. Let them cool completely before transferring them to a freezer-safe container. When ready to eat, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in a skillet with butter.
Do you have questions about how to saute sweet potatoes? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2 – 1 inch cubes. Try to get them as evenly sized as possible.
No, you don’t need to soak the sweet potato cubes before frying. Just make sure to wash them thoroughly and scrub off any dirt.
Yes, I recommend that you season these sweet potatoes before your fry them.
OTHER DELICIOUS SWEET POTATO RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
Learn How To Saute Sweet Potatoes
Cubed sweet potatoes in a savory or sweet seasoning perfectly sautéed in butter. Learn how to make this side dish in under 20 minutes. Perfect with any main meal.
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed and diced in 1/2" cubes
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (pre-mixed) or
- 1/4 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary or sage
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes, peel skin if desired. Dice sweet potatoes into 1/2-1 inch square cubes.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together either sweet or savory spices, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the diced sweet potatoes and season with savory or sweet spices. Mix with a spatula coating each side of the potato.
- Add oil and butter to a large cast iron skillet and turn heat to medium-high. When butter has melted add prepared sweet potatoes to the skillet in a single layer. Reduce heat to medium if the sweet potatoes begin to brown too quickly.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip to the other side. Repeat every 2-3 minutes until all sides are fork tender.
The butter adds a rich delicious flavor, and when cooked with oil it helps keep the butter from burning too quickly when sautéing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 234mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 3g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Leave a Reply