These crunchy baked zucchini sticks are made with parmesan cheese and a thin coating of flaky panko breadcrumbs adding a crunchy texture. Dip these in pizza sauce for a tasty appetizer or serve as a side dish.
Baked Zucchini Sticks
I often see these baked zucchini sticks described as fries, but I don’t think I could enjoy these as much if I thought the were replacing French fries.
Who else loves French fries, especially when they’re almost over cooked and the ends get super crunchy. That’s the part that I like to nibble on first!
Oh, and any burnt pieces…LOVE! Fries are in a league of their own: shoestring, steak, curly and those basket weave looking ones. All tasty in my opinion, but I don’t eat a lot of fried foods so it’s more of a treat if I make or order French fries at a restaurant.
How to make zucchini fries
This easy recipe is simple, but there is one key element to ensure these zucchini sticks are nice and crunchy.
First, cut the zucchini in the size and shape you want and lay them of a couple of layers of paper towels. Sprinkle salt over the zucchini to release the moisture and let it sit for about an hour, then pat the zucchini dry with clean paper towels.
In three separate shallow bowls add the almond meal to one, the second bowl whisk together the panko, parmesan and Italian seasoning. In the third bowl beat the eggs together.
Roll each zucchini stick in almond meal, then the eggs and finally the panko mix. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, and then flip the zucchini sticks over and bake an additional 12 minutes.
What to serve with baked zucchini fries
I made these for Alan and me to nosh on. We both had eaten large lunches and didn’t want anything heavy for dinner, but we did want something!
We ended up making a meal out of this and ate the whole batch with pizza sauce!
To serve as an appetizer, enjoy with your choice of a 3 ingredient cocktail from Take Two Tapas.
If you think you need to entice your kids to eat their zucchini then go ahead and tell them that these are “special” fries!
I bet they’ll eat every one and ask for more!
Crunchy Baked Zucchini Sticks
Zucchini fries dipped in egg and lightly coated in a Panko mix. Bake and serve as an appetizer or serve as a side dish.
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 - 1/2 inch sticks
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 egg white
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly brush with olive oil and set aside.
- Place zucchini sticks on two layers of paper towels and sprinkle with 1½ teaspoons of salt. Let the moisture release for about an hour. Pat the zucchini with dry paper towels.
- In three separate shallow bowls add the almond meal to one, the second bowl whisk together the panko, parmesan and Italian seasoning. In the third bowl beat the egg and egg white together.
- Roll each zucchini stick in almond meal, then the eggs and finally the panko mix. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, and then flip the zucchini sticks over and bake an additional 12 minutes. Remove from oven and serve with pizza sauce.