This Easy Spicy Chimichurri Sauce Recipe is the perfect way to add some flavor to your meals! It is super easy to make and can be used on anything from chicken to vegetables. If you are looking for a way to add some flavor to your meals, then this delicious low carb recipe is for you.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy this sauce is in a salad. Check out this Chimichurri Steak Salad recipe!
Table of Contents
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- This recipe is super easy to make and has a tasty kick of spice.
- It can be used on anything that you want to add more flavor including vegetables, beef, pork, chicken or fish.
- It’s great made ahead for cookouts, or family dinners.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this spicy recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this sauce on your favorite foods.
- measuring cup and spoon
- garlic press
- blender or small food processor
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this homemade spicy chimichurri sauce. These ingredients can be easily found at your local market, but you may also have most of them on hand already. For the best tasting sauce use fresh herbs.
- fresh Italian parsley with stems
- fresh oregano leaves
- garlic cloves
- crushed red pepper flakes or red pepper diced like cayenne pepper. Looking for the right variety of fresh pepper? This guide describes peppers from mild to hot.
- extra-virgin olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS SPICY CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
Making this easy sauce recipe is simple. Just follow the directions below and you will have a tasty sauce that goes well on so many different things.
STEP 1: BLEND SPICES TOGETHER
In a food processor, blend parsley, oregano, and garlic until combined, approximately 10 seconds.
STEP 2: ADD OIL AND VINEGAR
Add 1/2 cup oil, vinegar, and pepper flakes; blend to your desired texture. Then, season to taste with salt and pepper.
STEP 3: SERVE AND ENJOY
Serve over steak, chicken, fish, pork, fold over roasted vegetables or top on eggs.
WAYS TO USE
There are so many different ways that you can use but here are a few of my favorite recipes to use this spicy sauce on it.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Here are a few changes that you can make for this recipe if need to change things up.
- If you don’t have parsley or can’t find it, you could use cilantro instead. I would use 1/2 the amount of cilantro as what the recipe calls for in parsley.
- Feel free to use dried oregano leaves, but I would reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon.
- If you don’t have red pepper flakes, you could use diced fresh red pepper or jalapeno instead. Again, start with a small amount and add more to taste.
- Any type of oil will work in this recipe, but I prefer the flavor of extra-virgin olive oil.
- You could also use white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or even lime juice.
- I always use kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper in my recipes, but you could use regular salt and pepper instead.
- For an added tang you can add a little bit of lemon juice or lime juice to the recipe.
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make this recipe perfectly every time.
- If you want a smooth sauce, make sure to blend all of the ingredients until they are completely combined.
- Fresh herbs really work best in this recipe, but you can also use dried ones if you are in a pinch, however, your flavor won’t be as strong.
- I prefer a little bit of a thicker sauce, but you can add more oil if you want it to be thinner.
- This recipe is pretty spicy as written, so if you are sensitive to spice, I would start with half of the number of pepper flakes and then add more to taste.
- I prefer this sauce at room temperature so allow it to warm up before you serve it.
- This also makes a great marinade for grilled steak or chicken.
HOW TO STORE
This Spicy Chimichurri Sauce can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
You can freeze the extra sauce in ice cube trays until solid and then store it in a freezer bag until you are ready to serve. Then thaw at room temperature and serve.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this recipe.
Chimichurri sauce is a green sauce that is made with parsley, oregano, garlic, oil, vinegar, and crushed red pepper flakes.
This recipe will last in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Yes, this sauce has quite a spicy kick to it. However, you can adjust the spice to suit your taste buds.
OTHER DELICIOUS SAUCES YOU MAY ENJOY
Spicy Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley with stems
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes or red pepper diced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor or blender, pulse parsley, oregano, and garlic until combined, approximately 10 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup olive oil, red wine vinegar, and pepper flakes or diced pepper; blend to your desired texture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.