Air Fryer Green Bean Casserole is the best way to make a classic holiday side dish with creamy mushroom sauce topped with crispy French fried onions. It is all cooked in the air fryer so it comes out hot and bubbly. This is the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Serve it with roasted turkey or ham for a delicious holiday meal.
For a fresh green bean recipe be sure to check out this Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan and Garlic dish.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- No need to waste oven space when you can use the air fryer to make your side dishes.
- It’s the traditional recipe that your family loves for Thanksgiving dinner.
- The air fryer cuts down on the cooking time for this hearty dish, which is helpful during the holiday season.
- This recipe is always perfect for busy weeknights when you want a green bean side dish in a hurry.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this easy vegetable side dish recipe.
- air fryer – you need a 6 quart or larger air fryer
- large bowl
- deep dish baking dish – a deep dish pie plate can work well for this
You only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this delicious side dish recipe. You may already have most of the ingredients on hand already but if not, just head on over to the grocery store and you will be ready to dive into this holiday favorite.
- green beans, drained, French –style or Fresh Cut. You can also use fresh beans. See the recipe card for instructions.
- cream of mushroom soup – use regular soup, homemade cream of mushroom soup, low sodium or even low fat mushroom soup
- Worcestershire sauce
- heavy whipping cream
- French fried onions
HOW TO MAKE THIS AIR FRYER GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Making this air fryer green bean casserole is so simple. This green bean casserole is the traditional recipe that has been made for generations; creamy mushroom sauce folded into the beans with a crunchy French fried onion topping.
This air fryer recipe is perfect for when you are making a lot of dishes and need a little extra space when cooking side dishes during the holiday season.
STEP 1: MIX TOGETHER THE BEANS AND WET INGREDIENTS
In a mixing bowl, mix the beans, soup, Worcestershire sauce, whipping cream, and spices.
STEP 2: ADD THE BEAN MIXTURE TO A BAKING DISH
Add the bean mixture to a deep dish that fit the air fryer basket.
STEP 3: AIR FRY FOR 10 MINUTES
Cook at 350°F for 10 minutes or until hot.
STEP 4: STIR THE INGREDIENTS AND TOP WITH FRENCH-FRIED ONIONS
Stir the ingredients and top the dish with fried onions. Cook at 300°F for an additional 3 minutes.
STEP 5: REMOVE AND LET COOL
Remove, let cool, and serve.
If you would rather make this side dish in the oven then these are directions for you.
STEP 1: MIX TOGETHER THE GREEN BEANS AND WET INGREDIENTS
1. In a large mixing bowl mix the green beans, soup, Worcestershire sauce, whipping cream, ground pepper, and paprika together.
STEP 2: ADD TO CASSEROLE DISH
2. Place ingredients in a 1½ quart casserole dish.
STEP 3: BAKE THE CASSEROLE
3. Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until hot.
STEP 4: TOP WITH FRIED ONIONS AND RETURN TO THE OVEN
4. Stir the ingredients and top with fried onions. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS DISH
This dish is a great side to serve with roasted turkey or ham. I also like to pair it with mashed potatoes and a green salad.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Here are a few tried and true substitutions and additions for this simple recipe.
- Using fresh green beans: You will need 4 cups or about 1 1/2 pounds. clean, trim, and slice beans into 2 – 3 inch pieces. Heat over medium-high heat in a large saute pan with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Add green beans and saute for five minutes. Cool slightly before adding the beans into step 1 of the instructions.
- You can also use frozen green beans but you will need to thaw them first to remove some moisture.
- If you want to add more vegetables to this easy recipe, you can add in 1 cup of sautéed fresh mushrooms, a can of drained and rinsed water chestnuts, or 1 cup of thawed and drained frozen peas.
- If you are out of Worcestershire sauce, you can use soy sauce instead.
- Add more flavor to the soup mixture by adding garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, or even red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.
- Cream of chicken soup can be used in place of cream of mushroom soup if your family does not enjoy mushrooms.
HOW TO STORE
This dish can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply make the recipe as instructed and store it in an airtight container. When you are ready to serve, reheat it in the oven or air fryer until hot.
You can also freeze this casserole for up to 3 months. Follow the recipe instructions and then place it in a freezer-safe dish. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bake or air fry until hot.
If you are making this dish ahead do not top these French fried onions until you are ready to reheat the casserole otherwise they will become soggy.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Do you have questions about this air fryer green bean casserole recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions about this recipe.
Yes, as long as it’s an oven-safe casserole dish it can be used in your air fryer.
Yes, just don’t add the french-fried onions until you are ready to reheat.
Yes, you can overcook a green bean casserole so watch it quickly in the oven or air fryer.
Yes. You will want to saute the beans before adding them to the mushroom soup mixture.
OTHER DELICIOUS SIDE DISH AIR FRYER RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- Crispy Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
- Crispy Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- Caramelized Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Air Fryer Edamame Beans
- 2 14.5oz cans green beans, drained, French-style or Fresh Cut
- 1 10oz can cream of mushroom soup or homemade
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups French fried onions
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the beans, soup, Worcestershire sauce, whipping cream, ground black pepper, and paprika together.
- Add the bean mixture to a deep baking dish that fits in the center of the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Top the green bean dish with French fried onions. Cook at 300°F for an additional 3 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the green beans, soup, Worcestershire sauce, whipping cream, ground pepper and paprika together.
- Place ingredients in a 1½ quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Stir the ingredients and top with fried onions. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Clean, trim, and slice fresh green beans into 2-3" pieces.
- Heat over medium-high a large saute pan with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Add green beans and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly before adding in step 1 of the instructions with the soup, Worcestershire sauce, whipping cream, ground pepper and paprika.
Air Fryer Instructions
Preparing Fresh Green Beans Instructions
Using fresh green beans: 4 cups, which is about 1 1/2 pounds.
You can use any variety of condensed mushroom soup; low-fat, low sodium or homemade cream of mushroom soup.
Soy sauce can be used in place Worcestershire sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 451mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 6g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.