This Creamy Instant Pot Tortellini Soup is the perfect Fall soup! It’s hearty, comforting and so easy to make in the pressure cooker. Ready in just 30 minutes, this soup is packed with flavor and is sure to be on your meal rotation.
This soup was inspired by this vegetarian Spinach and White Bean Soup. Be sure to give it a try too!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- This creamy tortellini soup cooks right in your instant pot which means fewer dishes to watch.
- And it’s packed with so much flavor from the sausage, veggies, and cheese tortellini.
- It’s great for busy weeknights when you are in a hurry but still want a hearty meal.
You only need a couple of kitchen tools to help you make this creamy soup recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this warm bowl of flavorful comfort.
- knife and cutting board
- instant pot or pressure cooker – 6 or 8 quart.
- wooden spoon
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this creamy soup recipe. After one quick trip to the local grocery store, you will be ready to make this savory soup recipe that is perfect for a chilly day.
- Mild Italian Sausage – I used bulk sausage, but you can also purchase sausage in casings.
- carrot, diced
- stalks celery, sliced
- medium onion, diced
- garlic cloves
- olive oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Cheese Tortellini – I use fresh tortellini. To use frozen or dried tortellini you will need to increase the cooking time an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Fire Roasted diced tomatoes – You can use any diced tomatoes you prefer. I also like to use diced tomatoes with added Italian seasonings.
- chicken broth or vegetable broth – I like to use Better Than Bouillon concentrate.
- heavy cream
- fresh baby spinach
- Shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- red pepper flakes to garnish (optional)
HOW TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT TORTELLINI SOUP RECIPE
Making this hearty sausage tortellini soup is simple, and easy to adjust to your preference. Leave out the sausage for a meatless meal or leave out the the heavy cream for a lighter broth.
STEP 1: HEAT THE OLIVE OIL IN THE INSTANT POT
Add olive oil to the Instant Pot insert and turn to saute mode.
STEP 2: BROWN THE SAUSAGE
Cook Italian sausage breaking the meat up while cooking. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Pork should be cooked at a minimum of 160ºF. Leave any fat left from the pork in the pot, then remove the sausage from the Instant Pot.
STEP 3: SAUTE THE VEGETABLES
Add diced carrots, celery, and onion to the Instant Pot insert. Saute for about 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
STEP 4: ADD IN THE GARLIC
Add minced garlic cloves to sautéed vegetables and cook for an additional minute.
STEP 5: RETURN THE SAUSAGE AND ADD IN SEASONING
Return cooked Italian sausage to the vegetable mix. Stir and add Italian seasoning.
STEP 6: TURN OFF SAUTE MODE
Turn off Saute setting and turn Instant Pot to Manual setting.
STEP 7: ADD TORTELLINI, TOMATOES AND BROTH
Add tomatoes, tortellini, and broth to the sausage and vegetable mix. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Do not stir!
STEP 8: PRESSURE-COOK THE SOUP
Cook in a Manual setting for 2 minutes.
STEP 9: QUICK RELEASE THE PRESSURE
After the timer goes off, carefully quick release the pressure from the Instant Pot.
STEP 10: ADD IN BABY SPINACH AND CREAM
Add fresh spinach and heavy cream. Stir until all ingredients are warm and the spinach has wilted.
STEP 11: GARNISH WITH PARMESAN CHEESE AND RED PEPPER FLAKES
Serve with shredded parmesan cheese and a dash of red pepper flakes if desired.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SOUP
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Here are a few ways that you can personalize this recipe to suit your taste buds.
- You can easily substitute the Italian sausage for hot Italian sausage, sweet Italian sausage, or even chicken sausage.
- This soup would also be delicious with a can of white beans stirred in.
- If you are looking for a bit more of a veggie-packed soup, feel free to add in some diced zucchini, green beans, or yellow squash.
- To make this a vegetarian soup recipe, simply leave out the sausage and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- If you like a bit of heat you can add in 1/2 teaspoon of crushed pepper flakes. if you don’t like spice leave them out.
- Add salt and black pepper to suit your taste buds.
- Add more flavor to the broth of this soup by using chicken stock instead.
Here are a few tips to make sure that your soup turns out perfectly every time that you make it.
- If the tortellini isn’t cooked to your liking, you can always place the lid back on and cook for an additional minute or two. Just be sure to do a quick release when finished.
- Once you add the tomatoes I recommend that you do not stir the soup if your pot is prone to the burn notice.
- I used fresh tortellini. If you are using frozen instead I would add two minutes to your pressure cooking time. Dried tortellini should cook an additional 5-7 minutes.
HOW TO STORE
Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat this tortellini soup, simply place it in a pot on the stove over low heat until warmed through. You may need to add a splash of water or chicken broth to thin it out as it reheats.
Do you have questions about this creamy tortellini soup recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this cozy soup recipe.
Yes, however, I would recommend that you freeze it without the tortellini because the tortellini will become mushy when thawed.
The cream should thicken this soup nicely, however, if you still want to thicken it further you will need to turn your pressure cooker on saute mode and add in a cornstarch slurry. Stirring until it reaches the texture that you desire.
I like to reheat it on the stovetop. However, you can also microwave it.
OTHER DELICIOUS INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES WITH TORTELLINI?
- 1 pound Mild Italian Sausage
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 9 ounce Cheese Tortellini
- 1 14.5 ounce can Fire Roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Shredded parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes to garnish (optional)
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot insert and turn to saute setting.
- Cook Italian sausage breaking the meat up while cooking. Cook until sausage is no longer pink or the internal temperature reaches 160°F. Remove the cooked sausage from the Instant Pot.
- Add diced carrots, celery and onion to the Instant Pot. Saute for about 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add minced garlic cloves to sautéd vegetables and cook for an additional minute.
- Return cooked Italian sausage to the vegetable mix. Stir and add Italian seasoning.
- Turn off Saute setting and turn Instant Pot to the Manual setting.
- Add tomatoes, tortellini, and broth to the sausage and vegetable mix.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Set the timer to 2 minutes.
- After the timer goes off, carefully quick release the pressure from the Instant Pot.
- Add fresh baby spinach and heavy cream. Stir until all ingredients are warm and the spinach has wilted.
- Serve with shredded parmesan cheese and a dash of red pepper flakes if desired.
If you don't have baby spinach you may want to rough chop regular fresh spinach into bite size pieces.
Frozen spinach is not recommend for this recipe. It will water down the flavors of the soup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 596Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 1902mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 25g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.