Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos: Tender shredded chicken simmered in a flavorful green salsa makes an easy filling for tacos!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
I have another super easy recipe that is guaranteed to give you tender chicken filling with the help of your slow cooker!
With this recipe you’ll have two options; make a homemade tomatillo salsa verde sauce (#instayum) or your can purchase jarred salsa with great results as well.
Sometimes I have a hard time locating fresh tomatillos or what I find available is the size of a cherry, which just frustrates me when I try to broil and remove the skin.
They’re just too difficult to handle if the tomatillos aren’t at least 3-4 inches in size.
Adaptable Chicken Taco Recipe
There are some really decent tasting pre-made salsas available that don’t have crazy ingredients added.
This time I used Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde, and added more flavor with diced green chilies, but you can use any green sauce that you find in the Mexican section of your store.
My only recommendation is to find the salsa that has minimal ingredients like tomatillos, jalapeños, salt and onion.
No sugar. You don’t want sweet salsa for this recipe!
You’ll never get bored with this recipe.
Use the chicken for a variety of dishes, burritos, salads, tostadas or homemade enchiladas! The choices are unlimited!
What To Serve On Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
I like to add chunks or slices of plain avocado. You also might enjoy one of these sauces, which are great with baked tortilla chips too!
- Avocado Cream Sauce – Made with fresh avocados, crema, cilantro, then seasoned with lime juice and salt.
- Pico de Gallo Salsa. Diced fresh tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime and salt.
- Chunky Avocado Dip – Diced fresh avocado with tomatoes.
- Plain Crema or Sour Cream
Make your own Spanish Rice too!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos With Chile Verde Sauce
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds chicken thighs skinless
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces tomatillo salsa verde like this [utomatillo salsa verde
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 ounce diced chilies
- flour tortillas taco size
- avocado lime and cilantro (optional)
- Mix salsa, oregano and green chilies together and pour on the bottom of the slow cooker. Salt and pepper the chicken thighs and place in the salsa mix. Cover and slow cook for 4-5 hours on low. Shred chicken with two forks or cut into chunks. Using a slotted spoon, put about a 1/4 cup of meat in each warmed tortilla. Add chopped cilantro and diced avocados and drizzle with fresh lime juice.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Sandra…this is so my kind of dish! So flavorful and fun!
Looks delicious. Never made salsa at home before.
This sounds amazing!! I love anything tacos and the rice on the side looks wonderful too!
This sound so delicious, and I just love how simple this recipe is. And bonus for being a slow cooker recipe! 🙂
This is a perfectly made food, I would love to eat it and will make it soon, probably this weekend. Thanks
This looks delish. Very easy to fix.
Taco stuff in a slow cooker? Oh yeah, this is for me!
I’ve never done anything taco-ish in a slow cooker. This looks really easy!
Sandra, have I told you before that you ROCK?! This is fabulous! I never thought to slow cook chicken in salsa verde!! I must must MUST try this one!!
I think I could eat these all day! they look amazing! can’t wait to try this recipe!