Easy taco soup recipe is on the menu this week! This simple recipe is bursting with Tex-Mex flavor; beans, corn, ground beef flavored with taco seasoning mix and topped with your favorite condiment. Great freezer meal idea for those busy evenings you don’t want to cook.
Taco Soup Recipe With Ground Beef
When you want a quick and tasty meal that can be put together with several stocked pantry items, this easy taco soup recipe is the meal for you!
The only real cooking required is to brown the ground beef. After that, it’s just a matter of opening some cans of stocked ingredients together with broth and taco seasoning.
Boom! Dinner is done!
Not only is this a quick meal the family will enjoy, but this taco soup recipe is a great freezer meal.
Add all the ingredients in a freezer bag, label it, and it’s ready to go.
Freezer meals are so handy to share with neighbors, new parents or a friend that you know needs a break from cooking.
I especially love that you can put all the ingredients in a freezer bag, and decide later if you want to cook it fresh right away or freeze it for later.
What Will I Need To Make This Taco Soup Recipe?
You will need the following ingredients:
- Ground beef: Cook and drain (if extra fatty) your ground beef before combining it with other ingredients. This will ensure that it is cooked through when you make your taco soup.
- Beef broth: beef broth can be substituted for beef stock, chicken broth, or chicken stock. If you have bouillon cubes, you can use those as well. I use low sodium broth.
- Tomato sauce
- Black beans: If you don’t like the beans listed in the recipe, feel free to substitute them with your preferred bean.
- Pinto beans
- Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis
- Corn kernels: your corn can be fresh, canned, or frozen.
- Taco seasoning mix
- Salt and Pepper
You will need the following supplies:
- Gallon sized freezer bags or quart size for smaller portions
- Instant Pot
- Slow cooker
- Stove top pan or ceramic stock pot
Can Ground Beef Be Substituted For Ground Turkey?
Yes! This taco soup recipe is adaptable. Not only can you substitute the beef for turkey, but you can also use ground chicken or pork.
Can I Cook My Taco Soup In The Crock Pot or Instant Pot?
Yes! After you have added the taco soup ingredients to a freezer bag follow these options.
When using a Crock Pot:
- Cooking fresh: Add contents of bag into Crock Pot and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
- Cooking frozen: Add contents of bag into Crock Pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
When using an Instant Pot:
- Cooking fresh: Add fresh contents into Instant Pot. Cook on Manuel Pressure cook for 9 minutes with quick release.
- Cooking frozen: Add frozen contents into instant pot. Add in ¼ cup water or sauté until ¼ liquid is present. Cook on Pressure cook for 12 minutes with quick release.
How Do You Thicken Taco Soup?
If your taco soup isn’t as thick as you would like it, you can stir in 2-3 Tablespoons of tomato paste in order to thicken the soup without compromising taste. Cornstarch is also a great option for thickening soup.
Is Taco Soup Healthy?
This is a hard question because the ingredients in this taco soup recipe are minimally processed, which is a healthier alternative to some recipes for sure.
Although, it really depends on your personal goals and how your body responds to beans and tomatoes. Those sensitive to these ingredients should stay away if weight loss is what the current goal is.
Personally, I fit in foods like taco soup in my macronutrients so I can enjoy this dish with my family.
Beans are packed with protein and are one of the healthier sources of carbohydrates. In addition, tomatoes are a nutritious plant food and offer a variety of benefits including a good source of vitamin C and A.
How Can I Lower The Carbohydrates?
One way to lower the carbohydrates is to use a soy based black bean like the brand Eden Foods. A 1/2 cup of soy black beans is 11 grams of carbs with 6 grams of fiber.
Ultimately, you are the best person to decide if this taco soup is healthy for you and your family.
How Long Does Taco Soup Last?
Once cooked, you can store your taco soup in the refrigerator for an additional 3-4 days. Just make sure that it is stored in an airtight container.
For the best tasing soup, properly frozen soup will last 4-6 months in the freezer.
What Can I Use In Place Of Rotel Tomatoes?
This taco soup recipe is can be easily adjusted to your preference.
Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis come in a variety of flavors; original mild and hot flavors.
If you can’t find a flavor that suits you, then you can use diced tomatoes and add a 4- 8 ounce can of diced green chilis. These are usually found in the Mexican food section in a grocery store.
Again, pick the mild, medium or hot flavor that suits your tastebuds.
Alternatively, you can skip the green chilis and just add diced tomatoes.
What Are Some Toppings That Are Good For This Taco Soup Recipe?
Add ingredients to your Tex-Mex taco soup just like you would to a taco! Here are some of my favorite toppings:
- Crema or sour cream
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Pico de gallo (fresh salsa)
- Sliced jalapeños
- Fresh cilantro
- Diced onions
- Shredded cheese
- Corn or baked tortilla chips
- Fresh lime juice
Looking For More Tex-Mex recipes?
Give these favorite recipes a try!
Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef browned & drained
- 2 cups beef broth unsalted
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can Rotel, undrained
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 15 oz can corn kernels, rinsed & drained
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning Mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook & Enjoy Right Away – Stovetop Method
- In a large stockpot cook ground beef over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning mix when the meat is almost cooked.
- Add the broth, tomato sauce, Rotel diced tomatoes and bring the ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add the beans and corn. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve with additional condiments.
Freezer Meal Instructions
- Write the name, date, and instructions on a gallon or quart sized resealable freezer safe plastic bag. Add all the ingredients to freezer bag. Shake the bag until all the ingredients are mixed together. Let air out of bag and seal.
- Place in freezer until needed or for up to 4-6 months.
Stovetop Cooking Instructions
- From frozen state, thaw taco soup in the refrigerator overnight.
- To cook, place contents in a large pot over the stove and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and cover pan. Simmer for 20 minutes. Take pan off heat and serve warm. Top with optional garnishes. Enjoy!
See Post For Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Instructions.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR SOUP, EASY RECIPE AND FREEZER MEAL BOARDS