Pecan muffins, a nutritious low carb treat! Flavorful and tender way to start your day or grab a muffin for an afternoon snack! Each muffin is under 2 carbs!
One of the best things I like about blogging is when I get a sudden inspiration to try a recipe from a friend’s blog.
In fact, my mind quickly began formulating ways to turn her recipe into low carb and keto friendly muffins.
Low Carb Muffins
As I’ve mentioned before gluten-free baking can be tricky, but I love a good challenge, especially when it comes to delicious pecan muffin recipes!
I immediately went to play with my low carb baking mix, which is a blend of nut free ingredients that mimic all purpose flour. I have been able to use the same ratio as a traditional muffin recipe like Debi’s, with a couple of modifications.
First, I increased the amount of eggs using 3 instead of 2. I also added some leavening to boost the fluff factor that is so hard to mimic when not using gluten.
Of course I swapped the sugars for stevia and erythritol blend.
Experimenting with low carb baking
The first batch tasted great, but the muffins looked like hockey pucks. No bueno!
That’s when I decided to add another egg so the batter wasn’t so dense, and a little baking powder.
Oh, and I lowered the temperature to 325 degrees. I tell you why in a second.
The second batch came out nice and fluffy! Just like you would expect when using all-purpose flour when baking muffins!
In addition, I topped each muffin with a full pecan. Next time I will add a few of these Keto candied pecans to the top!
Now about lowering the temperature 325 degrees.
My baking blend is mixed with whey protein powder which adds a nice boost of protein and also helps with the texture in baked goods.
Whey protein tends to dry out baked goods if the heat is too high, so make sure you lower the temperature to 325 for a nice and tender muffin.
Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy!
Please Pin To Your Baking and Muffin Boards
You also might want to try these Low Carb Chocolate Chip Muffins or these Healthy Banana Muffins
Pecan Muffins | Low Carb and Gluten Free
- 1/2 cup low carb baking mix
- 1/4 cup brown sugar alternative like Truvia, Golden Monk Fruit, Swerve
- 1/4 cup sugar alternative Stevia, Erythitol, or a mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1/2 cup 4 ounce butter, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners or lightly spray with baking spray.
- Whisk together baking blend, baking powder, pecans, and sweeteners. In a separate bowl mix butter and eggs until incorporated. Add to dry mix.
- Drop about a 1/4 cup into each muffin liner and top with a pecan (optional) bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Store in an airtight container.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.