These simple Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas are a family favorite. Homemade green chile sauce with shredded chicken wrapped in corn tortillas, then topped with melted cheese can be on the table in 30 minutes.
I wanted to share this enchilada recipe FOREVER, but when this casserole comes out of the oven we barely let it cool before digging into it, and the enchiladas that are left lose their photogenic appeal. Plus, when someone (like a 19 year old) calls DIBS on any remaining enchiladas for their late night snack, they immediately get hidden in the way-way back of the refrigerator! I have to admit, enchiladas do taste better after the flavors have more time to enhance each other.
If you haven’t guessed, this recipe is a family favorite and there would be no complaints if this was on our table weekly!
The recipe unveiling is TODAY, which was doable by doubling the recipe so we could eat right away, and still have an extra casserole to take photos of! Not to mention another complete meal for lunches or snacking!
I still think my mother makes the best enchiladas, but over the years I’ve watched her in the kitchen, and I’m certain that I mirror everything she does. We’ve never used a recipe, so it was a task to type the details down!
One thing we both started to do is to find some shortcuts when making this meal. Instead of baking 4 chicken breasts, cooling and shredding, we will purchase a pre-cooked chicken (usually from Costco). We also are not opposed to using the pre-made enchilada sauce, especially when it’s hard to find tomatillos to make a fresh sauce.
I also have incorporated a healthy change to the recipe over the years. Instead of pan frying the corn tortillas to soften them up before filling them with all the goodies that go inside, I will dip them in the heated sauce just until the tortillas are pliable. It’s a great trick and there are no greasy pans or splattered oil on the counters to deal with! Oh, I almost forgot, I also roll a few enchiladas that are all cheese when I know Ashley will be joining us for dinner.
In my next post I’ll be sharing how to make the Spanish rice you see in the photos!
Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 pre-cooked chicken, shredded
- 10 corn tortillas
- Tomatillo Salsa Verde or 1 large can of pre made green enchilada sauce
- 3 green onions sliced
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put ½ cup of tomatillo salsa verde sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Shred chicken and put aside. Set up an assembly line with chicken cheese and green onions.
- Put all sauce in a skillet the size of the corn tortillas. Warm on medium heat and dip each tortilla one at a time in the sauce until it begins to soften (you don't want it too soft or the tortilla will fall apart and will be mushy). Place on a plate and bring to the assembly of ingredients. Add chicken, cheese and onion to each enchilada and roll. Place in the prepared casserole dish.
- Pour sauce over the rolled enchiladas and top with 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.