Mexican Shredded Beef Recipe
This shredded beef recipe is made in an Instant Pot! 35 minute dish seasoned with Latin spices for all your Mexican dishes like street tacos, tostadas or enjoy over a bed of fried cabbage for a low carb meal!
Table of Contents
Instant Pot Shredded Beef
If you haven’t invested in a pressure cooker yet, it’s time to add it to your birthday or Christmas gift list!
I’ve had my Instant Pot for several month and each time I use it I’m always thrilled with how quick a dish comes together.
Such a timesaver! This Mexican shredded beef recipe is no different.
Add all the ingredients and let the pressure build up tenderizing and flavoring the meat to perfection.
35 Minute Instant Pot Shredded Beef Recipe
Let’s just dive in this recipe! To make this dish, first cut the beef into small 2-3 inch chunks.
Next, you want to add flavor to the meat. Whisk together the spices; chili powder, cumin, salt, Mexican oregano. Generously sprinkle the spice mix over the meat.
Go ahead and use your hands to work in the spices making sure each piece is seasoned well.
Next, turn on the Instant Pot to saute and add avocado oil to cook the diced onion, garlic, more cumin (can you smell the flavors melding together?)
Turn off the saute mode and add the remaining ingredients and set the IP to manual mode for 35 minutes.
Walk away and let the magic begin.
How to Shred The Meat
Once the beef is cooked let it cool slightly remove the chunks from the Instant Pot and place on a large platter.
With two forks pull the meat apart. This should be effortless since the beef is super tender.
After the meat is cooked you’ll notice lots of juice is rendered. I like to save some of it to make homemade gravy to serve with the beef and Mock Mashed Potatoes.
The meat is ready to be used in all your favorite Mexican dishes:
- Burritos with Spanish rice and refried beans
- Taquitos to name a few!
- Wrap in a Keto Tortillas
Shredded Beef Tacos For A Crowd
My favorite way to use this beef is in tacos. The meat for tacos stretches to a lot of servings, which is great since everyone loves tacos!
To serve street tacos all you will need is mini corn tortillas, diced white onion and cilantro.
How easy is that for entertaining?!
Mexican Shredded Beef With Fried Cabbage
For a low carb option serve this shredded beef with fried cabbage seasoned with salt and pepper! Boy, such a simple and tasty combination.
Follow the first step in the Tex-Mex Cabbage Beef Skillet recipe for instructions on how to saute the cabbage.
Do you happen to have other ideas on ways to serve this beef? Let me know. I would love to hear about it!
Looking for more ways to use this shredded beef? How about making Air Fryer Chimichangas!
Shredded Beef Made In An Instant Pot
- 4 pound chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes with chili OR
- 3 – 4 ounce cans diced green chilis
- Cut beef into 2-3 inch chunks and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, garlic, oregano and salt. Season meat and massage spices into the beef with your hands.
- Place avocado oil in Instant Pot and turn it on to saute mode. Cook onion until it begins to soften. Add the remaining teaspoon of cumin and stir until fragrant.
- Turn off the Instant pot and add the meat and remaining ingredients; broth, tomato paste, green chilis OR tomatoes with chili. Lock the lid and press the meat/stew mode.
- Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Once complete, let the pressure release on its own.
- Remove meat from Instant Pot and place on a platter. Shred beef with two forks.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
This looks so amazing! I love how quick and easy this is to make!
I love making a batch of shredded beef! I use it for breakfasts, lunches in my quesadillas, and then in tacos and burritos as dinner! So many uses for it. Also in quick appetizers!
Yes, shredded beef is super versatile! Love it and how simple it is to make!
Your Mexican recipes are some of my favorites on your blog, I know this one will be no different!! I am trying it Tuesday!! Thanks you!!
Very simple words have been used to explain this method and I understand everything well. Thanku so very much sharing this great recipe.
I love how tender meat gets in the instant pot. Great recipe!
Isn’t it amazing? So easy and tasty 🙂
We have some tortillas in the fridge. I may need to make some of this to fill them up!