Easy Cheese Egg Casserole with ricotta and sharp cheddar cheese, fluffy eggs, and sautéed scallions. This is a versatile dish that can be made in advance for a special weekend brunch or enjoy when you want to have a slice to eat on the go during the week!
I love the simplicity of this casserole dish. I added it to our brunch menu for Easter and I can see this making a repeat appearance.
I usually serve this Green Chili Frittata, which gets rave reviews! In fact, I’ve given the recipe to a lot of people over the years, and it’s been a standard dish at my house, especially during the holidays.
It’s good to change things up and add a different slant to the foods you eat and serve, even when your taste buds my not be expecting it! Both of my kids noticed that this wasn’t the dish we usually have. My daughter liked the density of the eggs in this recipe, and my son who likes everything spicy, was wondering where the green chilies were!!
That’s what happens when your kids grow up and become foodies! You can’t fool them at all! Lol
The green scallions in this dish are sautéed in a little butter; just enough to soften them up, and you beat the eggs adding lots of volume until they’re pale yellow and double their size, then bake it!
Super simple, and now you have time to put your feet up and enjoy a cup of hot coffee!
I served several dishes, but if this will be the main dish, you can easily adapt the recipe to include a variety of ingredients. Toss in some diced ham, cooked bacon pieces, and more sautéed veggies like mushrooms or red peppers.
Cheddar Egg Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 bunch scallions sliced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 large eggs slightly warmed in tap water for 5 minutes
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. With cooking spray, grease 2 quart shallow baking dish and set aside.
- Melt buter in a medium skillet over medium heat and cook scallions until softened and fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder
- In a large bowl, beat eggs in a large bowl on high speed until the eggs are pale and doubled in volume (3-5 minutes).
- On low speed, add flour to egg mixture, then cheeses. Put in prepared dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until set.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.