This fresh tomato pie is layered with cheddar and mozzarella cheese, garlic and basil! Serve this delicious vegetarian meal as a main dish or side with grilled chicken.
There was a time I absolutely detested tomatoes. Every one I ate tasted bland and flavorless (blah!) so they didn’t make it to my plate often.
What a shame!
It wasn’t until I tasted a juicy fresh off the vine tomato that convinced me that tomatoes need to be the star of the menu more often.
The Sunday Supper Tastemakers are sharing a collection of fresh tomato recipes that will convince you that tomato angels (believe!) do exist, and you can make a variety of tasty recipes with fresh juicy sweet tomatoes!
Tomato Pie Recipe
If you are lucky enough to grow your own tomatoes then you are probably harvesting loads of those juicy babies now!
I picked up these roma tomatoes from my farmer’s market for next to nothing!
My purchase lightened the load (barely) from one of my favorite organic produce stands and my goal was to make tomato sauce, but those plans got derailed as the days ticked away.
Does that happen to you too? Big plans for a fun project that only gets to the planning stage? Humph!
Well, I can’t say I was too disappointed because I made this scrumptious tomato pie instead!
What a tasty spring and summer meal!
This pie resembles a margarita pizza, except the tomatoes are tripled from what you might be used to!
Add this pie to your brunch menu or enjoy a slice for a light lunch. This is easy to make and you can save even more time if you use a purchased pie crust like I did.
If you prefer a homemade crust, then be sure to check out the recipe I used to make these meat and potato hand pies.
NOTE: This post was originally published July 26, 2015 and has been revamped.
- 1 9- inch pie crust
- 1 tablespoon corn meal
- 2 pounds roma tomatoes sliced in 1/4 inch thickness
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 1013mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement