This Homemade Poultry Seasoning is an easy blend of herbs and spices that can be used in so many ways! Add it to your homemade stuffing mix or use it as a rub for roasted chicken. This blend is also great sprinkled over veggies before roasting or added to soups and casseroles. It’s the perfect homemade seasoning blend to add more flavor to your dishes.
If you enjoy making your own seasoning blends be sure to keep this Taco Seasoning Mix stocked in your spice drawer.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- This seasoning is easy to make with common spices you probably already have on hand.
- it is also customizable you can add more or less of any spice to suit your taste.
- And, it’s less expensive than the store-bought version.
You only need a few kitchen tools to help you make this simple and homemade poultry rub recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to add some flavor to your chicken or turkey recipes.
- measuring spoons
- small bowl
- mason jar or airtight container
You will need a few simple ingredients to make this delicious savory seasoning recipe. You most likely have all of these seasonings on hand already in your spice cabinet or pantry. However, if by chance you are out of something it should be easy to find in your local grocery store.
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- black pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS HOMEMADE POULTRY SEASONING RECIPE
Making this homemade seasoning mix only requires a couple of simple steps. Follow the directions below and you will have a spice mix that will bring a lot of flavor to your favorite turkey recipes.
STEP 1: MIX TOGETHER THE SEASONINGS
In a small bowl mix together your seasonings until they are well combined.
STEP 2: STORE IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER
Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
WAYS TO USE POULTRY SEASONING
You can use this homemade poultry seasoning blend in this Smoked Turkey or this Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe. Have you cooked chicken in an Instant Pot? Be sure to try this Instant Pot Whole Chicken.
No matter which recipe you make, you will enjoy this seasoning blend. You could also add this seasoning blend to a compound butter to make herb sauces or herbed breads.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
If you want to change up this recipe, here are some substitution and addition ideas.
- Allspice- For a little bit of sweetness and heat, try adding 1/4 teaspoon of allspice to the poultry seasoning recipe.
- Rosemary- Another herb that compliments poultry really well is rosemary. Try adding 1/4 teaspoon of dried rosemary to the poultry seasoning recipe.
- Cayenne pepper- If you like a little bit of spice, try adding 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the poultry seasoning recipe.
- Smoked paprika- For a smoky flavor, try using smoked paprika in place of regular paprika.
- Celery seed- This is a common ingredient in many poultry seasoning recipes. You can add 1/4 teaspoon of celery seed to this recipe if desired.
- Sage – If you love the flavor of sage, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of ground sage to this recipe.
- Homemade spice blends are so easy to make and they taste so much better than store-bought blends.
- Be sure to store the poultry seasoning in an airtight container. This will help it stay fresh for longer.
- I like to make a big batch of this recipe and then use it throughout the fall and winter months in all my favorite poultry recipes.
- You can use a spice grinder or coffee grinder if you want to turn this chicken seasoning into a fine powder.
- It’s important that you use dried herbs and not fresh herbs for this poultry blend.
HOW TO STORE
Once you have mixed together all the spices for this recipe, store it in an airtight container. I like to use a mason jar or small plastic container with a lid. The poultry seasoning will stay fresh for up to 6 months when stored in a cool, dry, and dark place.
Do you have questions about this delicious homemade poultry seasoning recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this perfect seasoning recipe.
If you are out of poultry seasoning, you can use this recipe to make a homemade blend for your favorite recipe.
Poultry seasoning just increases the flavor of any dish. Not only does it taste great on turkey dishes, but it also works well for pork chops or red meats.
It’s called poultry seasoning because it’s formulated to add additional flavor to turkey, chicken, and other poultry recipes.
OTHER DELICIOUS DIY SEASONING MIX RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- 2 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon onion powder
- 4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Place spices in a small mixing bowl.
- Whisk ingredients until all the spices are blending.
- Place in an airtight container.
Spices will stay fresh for about six months. Check the expiration date of your spices before adding to a mix. If they don't smell like the spice then the potency has diminished and your foods won't benefit from the flavor spices can add to dishes.
If you spices are clumpy, you may want to blend them in a spice blender or mix with a mortar and pestle.
Place poultry seasoning mix directly on the skin or gently create a pocket between the skin and meat and rub the spice on the meat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 21Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 533mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.