This Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice is a low-carb healthy spin on the traditional dish! Add diced leftover vegetables and serve as a side or main dish!
Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice
One of the many perks of working in an agricultural area is the loads of fresh vegetables and fruits that show up in our break room like strawberries and artichokes.
Today we had our pick of fresh broccoli and last week it was cauliflower. I’m in veggie heaven!
I’ve been roasting the heartier veggies. It’s so easy to prepare by tossing the florets in olive oil and season with sea salt.
Super tasty, but not too long ago I was introduced to Trader Joe’s “riced” cauliflower which comes in itty-bitty chopped pieces that resemble rice! It’s the perfect low-carb sneaky way to fake yourself into thinking you are eating the grain.
Well, I have to give kudos to the marketing department at Trader Joe’s. How brilliant to pre-package riced cauliflower and also how silly for me not to make my own! I’m all for convenience every so often, but when I “riced” my own cauliflower and learned how easy it is I felt guilty that I bought the pre-packaged version and tossed the plastic bags adding to more waste!
How do you “rice” cauliflower?
You simply cut the florets to fit in a food processor and pulse until you get the texture you want. Pulse, pulse, pulse, pulse. Done!
I used a mini Ninja processor, but if you have one that comes with different shredding options you can use the cheese grater blade.
Make a whole meal out of this Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice by adding whatever veggies you have. I had peas and green onion. I also had carrots, but I forgot to add them! Toss in ham or baby shrimp for a heartier dish.
Cauliflower Fried "Rice"
This cauliflower fried rice is a low-carb healthy spin on the traditional dish! Simple recipe and super flavorful.
- 4 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 2 green onions. sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas defrosted
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
- Pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet (or wok if you have one) over medium heat for about 1 minute. Swirl in the ½ tablespoon of oil and heat. Break the eggs into the skillet and stir to scramble until the eggs are almost cooked through but still a little wet. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Turn heat to high and add remaining ½ tablespoon of oil. Reduce heat to medium and add onion and stir until fragrant. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the riced cauliflower, green onion, peas. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until cauliflower softens. Fold in soy sauce, sesame oil, cooked egg, and salt & white pepper to taste. Stir everything swiftly around the skillet until the ingredients are well coated and heated through.Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.