Baked Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cups make a delicious breakfast on the go, a pre or post workout snack or a nutritious dessert!
I first made oatmeal cups when I was putting quite a few miles on my running shoes and wanted to keep my diet low fat. I was burning so many calories and thought that I would ruin all my fitness effort by fueling up on fatty foods.
I’m much more relaxed about food and fitness. I’ve slowed my roll with the running and workout schedule, get more sleep, and eat everything in moderation, but I never missed the butter or oil when I eat these oatmeal cups, so I’ve kept it out of this recipe.
This is one of those recipes that you can get very creative with. I’ve experimented with the ingredients by adding chopped walnuts, dried fruits as well as whatever fresh fruit is in season like Peach with Banana.
There are so many variations that are sooo good together! Cherry and chocolate is scrumptious!
There isn’t any refined sugar added to this simple recipe, so the chocolate, cherries along with the bananas are what sweetens these oatmeal cups, so pick bananas that are super ripe or add extra chocolate chips!! I have also made these with gluten-free oats.
These make great between meal snacks and are the perfect fuel to eat right before or after a workout. I pack a couple up and take them with me to eat at my desk at work.
Well, that’s my intent. They usually get eaten about a mile into my commute 🙂
Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Cups
- 3 ripe mashed bananas
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (or cows milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 cups old fashioned or rolled oats
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup cherries chopped
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray (spray the baking liners if you are using them)
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add all ingredients, except the cherries and chocolate chips. Mix with a spoon.
- Fold in the cherries and chocolate chips into the batter.
- Add batter to muffin cups (about ¼ cup of the batter)
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to the touch
- Cool and enjoy! Keep refrigerated in a airtight container.