Easy low carb breakfast casserole is low carb and gluten-free! Enjoy for breakfast or brunch for a satisfying meal! Perfect for gluten-free and Keto diets and only 4 carbs per serving! This also reheats well, so save this recipe for for meal prep idea.
This post was sponsored in collaboration with the National Pork Board, 2018.
Low Carb Breakfast Casserole For Breakfast or Brunch
Our every day life can get hectic, which is why when I cook, the meal needs to be filling because during the weekend I’ll cook one hearty dish for breakfast that will give us lots of energy throughout the day.
This way we are able to eat when we want since we are often going in different directions and schedules. However, when we are able to enjoy a weekend meal together, this casserole is my go to dish for brunch.
This egg sausage casserole is filled with lots of protein and fat. Two of the ingredients that bumps up the satiety factor!
Ingredients needed for egg casserole
I based this recipe on my Green Chili Frittata, except this dish is made with ground pork and made sure to leave out any gluten.
Gather these ingredients for a low carb version:
- Ground Pork (you can use pre-seasoned breakfast pork)
- Cottage Cheese – extra protein!
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – shred your own cheese if you aren’t in a rush. Did you know that pre-shredded cheese is often coated with cellulose? Cellulose is used in a lot of pre-packaged foods. It’s used in cheese to absorb moisture so the shreds don’t stick together.
- Eggs – I use the whole egg, which is fine for keto and low carb dieters. You can also use a mix of whole eggs and egg whites if you would like.
- Heavy Cream or Half and Half – You can use a either option. I use heavy cream when I want to kick up the fat content.
- Herbs if using plain ground pork – see below for some options.
What herbs can be used to season ground pork?
Season your own ground pork and add fresh herbs to suit your taste! Some of the following options are what I have used:
- Ground Rubbed Sage – adds a little earthy flavor with hints of citrus and pine.
- Italian Herb Mix – an Italian flair with basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, and thyme.
- Onion Powder – get the flavor without using a raw onion. Just an easy step to shake a little on the sausage.
- Cumin – offers an little sweetness without going overboard. The natural bitterness of cumin is paired back with all the flavors mixed together.
- Red Pepper – bring up the spice as little or as much as your taste buds can handle.
- Nutmeg – a warm sweet and spicy flavor. You only need a small amount of this robust spice.
How to make this sausage casserole
Not only is this casserole delicious, but it’s easy to cook AND it can be made in advance. Mix the ingredients the night before serving and bake in the morning!
First cook the ground pork. If you are using pre-seasoned pork, then all you do is cook to the recommended 160° F temperature. If you are seasoning the pork yourself, then you will need a total of two teaspoons of the combination of herbs that meets your taste buds.
We love sage, thyme, and just a pinch of nutmeg for that earthy flavor it offers.
Next, mix the eggs, cream, and cottage cheese in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the sausage and cheese and bake!
Frequently Asked Questions
Each serving is 4 carbohydrates. This casserole serves a generous 8 portions.
To reheat this breakfast casserole cover with foil and place in a 350° F preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes. This time may vary depending on how much leftovers you want to reheat.
This can also be warmed up in the microwave by the slice or serving too. Cover with a paper towel and heat on high for 45-60 seconds.
What to serve with this cheesy sausage casserole
- 1 pound ground pork sausage*
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 16 ounce container small curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" baking pan and set aside.
Cook ground pork breaking up meat into small chunks. Season with herbs if using plain pork and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with a whisk with cooled butter. Add cream and cottage cheese and mix well. Fold in shredded cheese and sausage.
Bake for 35 minutes or until egg is set.
*if using pre-seasoned breakfast casserole, leave out the additional herbs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 319mgSodium: 1039mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR APPETIZER, LOW CARB AND KETO BOARDS