Cheese Stuffed Meatballs with a creamy tomato sauce makes a great appetizer or serve without the sauce on your favorite pasta!
My off hours during the work week are pretty predictable. I hit the gym a couple of times, then
I’m either on the the blog working on tasty food recipes like these cheese stuffed meatballs
or searching the internet for supplies needed for our bathroom renovation!
Renovating a bathroom could be a full-time job! Seriously. There are so many decisions to be made. From the style and type of metal of the fixtures to the size of tile – 12 x12″ or 12 x 24″, ceramic, porcelain or natural stone? The decisions are endless and permanent since it’s not like changing the color of the walls with paint!
So it was nice to change my routine and check out our local talent. I’m always so impressed with the details of a play. It is so entertaining and goes by so quickly, but there are so many hours of practice for the stage crew and actors. I hope to check out more local plays through out the year. It feels so great to do something totally different!
That was a very long story to why you didn’t get this recipe before the Superbowl festivities.
These meatballs are perfect for sharing with a crowd as an appetizer for anytime!
They’re filling though, so they make a nice main dish too!
These are served with a creamy tomato based sauce that’s rich and delicious, but you could also serve them with this Meaty Crockpot Pasta Sauce over spaghetti.
Each batch makes about 10-11 meatballs that are about 3 inches in size. Super hearty and the cheesy filling is delicious!
The ingredients are super simple in this recipe. Dried Basil, an egg, mozzarella cheese and salt and pepper!
First you make mini patties, then you place a slice of cheese in the middle of the patty, You can use chunks of mozzarella cheese or slice up string cheese in fourths like I did.
Gently form the meatballs covering the cheese and there you have a cheesy meatball ready to be cooked!
You can bake these at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or fry them up with some butter and oil! You’ll love the creamy tomato sauce – dig in!
- 1½ pounds ground beef (80/20 grass-fed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt (Himalayan or kosher)
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 mozzarella string cheese, cut in fourths
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- TOMATO CREAM SAUCE
- 1¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl mix together beef, egg, basil, salt and pepper.
- Form 10-11 patties about 3 inches in diameter. Place a slice of cheese in the middle and form meatballs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add oil and butter. Add meatballs and cook turning every couple of minutes until each side is browned and the juice runs clear.
- Remove meatballs and place on a serving plate.
- In the same skillet add whipping cream and tomato paste heat over medium heat until large bubbles form. Season to taste and serve with meatballs.
Adapted from Diet Doctor, Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs.