Deliciously rich Keto Shepherd’s Pie is classic comfort food that is full of the flavors you expect without the carbs. We’ve turned one of your favorite classic recipes into a keto-friendly cauliflower mashed topped meal that everyone in the family will enjoy.
Keto Shepherd’s Pie
I’ve always enjoyed this traditional Irish comfort food. When I chose to follow the keto lifestyle, I knew it would no longer fit my macros.
By substituting a simple cauliflower mash in place of the traditional potatoes, I was able to make this totally macro-friendly, while still keeping it delicious.
If you need another low carb meal ideal, this keto meatloaf is a perfect choice that everyone enjoys.
I love having a meal that everyone in the house will eat without complaints or worries.
Another favorite is my family-friendly keto fried chicken. I am loving these delicious low-carb recipes that everyone in the house will eat!
Do I Have to Use Ground Lamb?
The classic recipe is always made with lamb. When using beef, it is more often called a cottage pie versus shepherd’s pie recipe.
However, with the cauliflower mash topping, this isn’t a fully traditional meal.
So, if you want to use ground beef or even a combination of the two, that is perfectly okay.
Lamb gives a different flavor, but both it and beef are great when paired with vegetables, sauce, and the creamy topping.
If you prefer, you can use a nice combination of the two, or even substitute in ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground pork.
Remember, however, that keto diets are primarily focused on higher-fat meats, so beef would be ideal.
What Vegetables In a Shepherd’s Pie are Keto Friendly?
Typically, you would see a combination of carrots, peas, and corn in a shepherd’s pie recipe.
However, those all have more carbs than you likely want. Before deciding what to include, consider your macros and if you are able to allow for a few more carbs in the day.
I used onions, mushrooms, and green beans as they are all low carbs and delicious.
Since this is primarily a rich meat mixture, you can add in just a small amount of the traditional vegetables and probably not have to worry much about it increasing the carbs, but for the stricter keto dieters, my version is best.
If you want another vegetable dish, this keto green bean casserole is one of my favorites. Following a keto lifestyle isn’t as restrictive as you may think. There are tons of great ideas for creating meals that are delicious and satisfying.
What Should I Serve With Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie?
The great thing about this recipe is that it is such an easy “all-in-one” dish. As it has vegetables and meat in one dish, it is very satisfying and doesn’t need any sides.
If you want to add something else to the side, you can’t go wrong with a nice side salad or some roasted broccoli or brussels sprouts.
Another nice side would be some roasted asparagus or roasted radishes.
Can I Make Keto Shepherd’s Pie Without Cauliflower?
I have not tried alternative toppings that are keto-friendly, but I have read in some forums that others have used mashed turnips or radishes that have been roasted and mashed.
I can only personally recommend using the mashed cauliflower, but if you try another method, please leave a note in the comments to let us know how it turned out.
Keto Shepherd’s Pie
- Filling Mixture
- ½ cup small onion diced
- 1 lb ground lamb or beef
- ½ cup mushrooms
- ½ cup green beans
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cauliflower Mash
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese softened
- 1//4 cup parmesan grated
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon chicken base or bullion I use Better Than Bouillon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter and saute onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add ground lamb or beef , season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned and cooked through; stir frequently. Drain of excess grease.
- Add mushrooms and green beans and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Microwave or steam cauliflower over boiling water for about 6 minutes. Drain well and place pieces on a clean dish towel or paper towels and press gently to remove as much moisture as possible.
- In a food processor, blender puree hot cauliflower with cream cheese, parmesan, garlic, chicken base and pepper until consistency is smooth and fluffy.
- Place the filling mixture into a medium size baking dish. Layer the cauliflower mash on top. Making sure to cover the filling completely.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 F. or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove and top with chopped parsley and enjoy.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR LOW CARB, KETO & COMFORT FOOD BOARDS