Grilled Cheese Steak Sandwich
This Cheese Steak Sandwich is stuffed with thin slices of ribeye beef, caramelized onions and slices of green pepper topped with provolone cheese! Enhance the flavor with Mezzetta jalapeño peppers and Peperoncinis!
Cheese Steak Sandwich
I wanted to call this sandwich a Philly Cheesesteak, but I’ve never tried an authentic cheesesteak or ever been to Pennsylvania.
Unlike other parts of the world where I so bravely dive into creating regional recipes, I’m a little scared of messing with the Philadelphians!
haha – not really.
My sandwich is a pretty darn good knock off, except that I read that the history behind an original-original cheese steak calls for Cheese Wiz.
Cheddar-like cheese and NOT food in my opinion, so we’re not using it in my Cheese Steak!
Steak Sandwich With Provolone Cheese!
I do add the same caramelized onions that really make this sandwich delicious, and the cheese of choice is gooey melted provolone!
The other difference with my cheese steak sandwich is that I grilled the meat and served appetizer sized sandwiches.
I also put a good amount of Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Jalapeno Peppers and whole Peperoncinis on the platter to use as a condiment.
The extra peppers really added a nice bold punch of flavor!
Sitting around the fire pit the platter and napkins were passed around, and one by one the sandwiches disappeared!
Low Carb Version
You can also serve this dish without the bun using green pepper in place of the bread for a low-carb cheese steak version!
For this style you’ll need to use a knife and fork, and don’t forget to add the extra peppers! You’ll love the extra punch of flavor!
What To Serve Cheese Steak Sandwich With
Looking for a complete meal? Add these to your menu;
- Three Bean Salad Recipe – Kidney, garbanzo and cannellini beans tossed in a light dressing.
- Low Carb Potato Salad – Delicious salad mimics real potatoes using cauliflower florets.
- Classic Waldorf Salad – Chunks of apples, sliced grapes, celery folded in a creamy dressing.
- Fresh Fruit Salad – Seasonal fruit with a light glaze that helps keep the fruit fresh.
Cheese Steak Sandwich
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 1 medium green onion sliced (plus extra if serving carb-free.For each serving cut a pepper in half to serve beef in)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 hoagie style buns toasted
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Heat large skillet with olive oil and add sliced onions and green pepper. Season with salt and pepper and stir until the onions are soft and turn a caramel color (approximately 7-10 minutes). Set aside.
- Turn on the grill to medium high heat to preheat.
- Season steak with garlic salt and pepper. Grill each side of the steak for two minutes or cook until desired doneness. Remove from heat and cut into thin slices.
- Assemble cheese steaks with meat, onion mix and top with cheese. Broil to melt cheese completely or once assembled cut in half and let the heat from the meat melt the cheese. Serve with Mezzetta jalapenos and peperoncinis.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Don’t you love warm weather months when you can cook outdoors?! I love this time of year!
Break out the grill and make this cheese steak sandwich!
Oh my gosh!! I just LOVE all the peppers in this recipe! Looks amazing. 🙂
These cheese steaks look amazing! Those peppers are making it look even more delicious.
Cheesesteaks are the one thing we don’t get in Texas! After living in PA for 10 years I really miss them. Thanks for the awesome recipe!
Now you can make them at home! Isn’t it funny how some areas have such a popular food, but in others it doesn’t exist!
These look wonderful!!! I love homemade cheese steak sandwiches, they’re the best!!
And they’re pretty darn easy to make, especially if you grill the meat!
Oh wow, this looks and sounds amazing! I need to make this for dinner one night.
This is the perfect summer evening recipe and everyone loves cheese steaks!
These look amazing. We love Mezzetta peppers. And your photos are absolutely beautiful. Can’t wait to make this recipe.
Thanks, Rachael! Mezzetta peppers are so flavorful! Nice addition to any sandwich, really 🙂
yum!! Im a huge fan of those peppers! I love them on so many sandwiches!
Peppers are the best condiment for sure!
We’ve always got these peppers on hand! I’ll have to make this recipe soon, it looks incredible!
I hope you get a chance to make this cheese steak soon! I already have requests to make it again!
What a scrumptious sandwich you have here. These would be gobbled up over at my house.
Thanks! No crumb or steak bit was left behind! 🙂
I entered the giveaway! Fingers crossed!
I’ll have my fingers crossed for you too! Good luck, Melanie!
Yup officially need this. We are like the hugest cheesesteak lovers so this version needs to be made.
Extra cheese for you! 🙂
Awesome giveaway! This sandwich looks amazing too! I think everyone in my family would enjoy it.
I wish I could replace our grill every year for a brand new one like this Weber!