Peeps Lemon Donuts perched in nests are the perfect treats to add to your Easter brunch menu!
Marshmallow Peeps are the peaking out of a donut nest made with fresh lemons for a little zip that pairs nicely with the sweetness of baked donut!
Peeps Lemon Donuts – baked, not fried!
I don’t make seasonal cute treats like this often, but it’s fun to mix things up, and when a group of bloggers wanted to host a giveaway we thought it would be fun to see what ideas we could come up with using Marshmallow Peeps as the main attraction! I love creative challenges like this!
CONTEST HAS ENDED.
These Baked Lemon Cake Donuts are easy to make and would be fun for the kids to help decorate! Perch a Peep right out of the middle of each donut and decorate the nest with mini jelly beans!
The simple glaze adds a sweet and slightly mouth puckering flavor you’ll love!
For this recipe I used a dessert shell pan and filled the dough partially leaving a hole in the middle replicating the shape of a donut! It works brilliantly!
There is always a way to make do with what you have!
Homemade Baked Donuts in two sizes!
You can make 8-10 standard size donuts with this recipe, but you may not be able to resist baking mini donuts too! Those cute little bites are so irresistible!
I mixed it up baked both large size peeps lemon donuts as well as the little guys!
I also added a candied mustache to one of the Peeps lemon donuts! Did you see it? Hehee – I couldn’t resist!
Peeps Baked Lemon Cake Donuts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil (canola)
- 3 tablespoons applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Marshmallow Peeps
- Green candy shred (grass)
- mini jelly beans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a donut pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs together with the milk apple sauce, oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract. After combined add the lemon zest.
- Pour the et mixture into the dry ingredients and fold together until combined (don't beat or over mix).
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan filling ¾ full. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before putting them on a wire cooling rack.
- Mix until powdered sugar with one tablespoon of the lemon juice. Add more until desired consistency. Dip each donut in the glaze and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or foil. Add candy grass and gently add Marshmallow Peep in the center of the donut. Decorate with jelly beans and let set.
Check out all the Marshmallow Peeps creations from 14 bloggers showcasing recipes and crafts for marshmallow Peeps! Hop on over to each site:
White Chocolate Peeps Pops from Foody Schmoody
Peeps Edible Play Dough from By Trish Sutton
Festive White Chocolate Pies from House of Faucis
Smores Peeps Pops from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Marshmallow Peeps Hair Clip from The TipToe Fairy
Peeps Brownies from My Big Fat Happy Life
Peeps Easter Bunny Pudding Cups from For the Love of Food
Easter Peeps Bunny Bags from Nap Time Creations
Peeps Baked Lemon Cake Donuts from The Foodie Affair
Peeps Easter Basket Cupcakes from One Hoolie Mama
Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Bunnies with FREE Printable from A Grande Life
Peep Tarts Martini from An Affair from the Heart
Peeps Cotton Candy Easter Sundae from An Alli Event