If you’ve ever found yourself wondering how to make huevos rancheros, you’re in the right place. This dish is a classic Mexican breakfast option that is sure to satisfy. This delicious dish was made for ranchers to ensure they would have a hearty meal before beginning the day. Your whole family will love this meal too. This dish will quickly become one of your favorite breakfast recipes.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
This easy huevos rancheros recipe is simple to make and so flavorful. All you need is some eggs, tortillas, cheese, beans and a homemade rancheros sauce. I like to top mine with a little sour cream and avocado, but you can really customize it however you like.
- This dish is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- It’s also great for meal prep.
- It’s filled with all your favorite Mexican flavors.
- Skip the wait at your local Mexican restaurant, and make this favorite Mexican breakfast at home.
You only need a couple of kitchen tools to help you make this delicious and authentic huevos rancheros recipe.
- microwave-safe bowl – for reheating beans and sauce
- food processor – if you want a smooth rancheros sauce
This easy recipe only requires a few ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen. The best thing about this recipe is that all of these ingredients are budget-friendly and when assembled together on a plate they make for a delicious breakfast.
- Refried bean or whole beans
- Eggs, large
- Corn tortillas, 6-inch
- Oil (neutral) for pan frying tortillas (optional)
- Ranchero sauce
- Cotija Cheese or Mexican shredded cheese
The Ranchero Sauce (can be made up to 3 days in advance)
I already showed you how to make this delicious sauce. It can be made chunky or blended. Some times I will blend half of the ingredients to have both varieties.
HOW TO MAKE HUEVOS RANCHEROS
Making Huevos Rancheros is simple and doesn’t take long at all. You can save on time by making the beans and sauce ahead of time. Follow these simple steps below and you will have a delicious Mexican food meal that the entire family will love in no time at all.
STEP 1: PREPARE THE BEANS
STEP 2: MAKE RANCHERO SAUCE
Make ranchero sauce or for New Mexican Huevos Rancheros use enchilada sauce.
STEP 3: COOK THE EGGS
Cook eggs sunny-side up.
STEP 4: SOFTEN THE TORTILLAS
Soften corn tortillas on a non-stick skillet or cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Warm for 15-20 seconds on each side of the tortilla.
STEP 5: ASSEMBLE THE DISH
Assemble and serve.
HOMEMADE RANCHERO SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS
STEP 1: SAUTE ONION AND JALAPENO
1 tablespoon oil to a large skillet. Sauté onions and jalapeno for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
STEP 2: ADD TOMATOES AND SPICES
Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and all the spices; cumin oregano, garlic powder, salt, bay leaves, and chipotle (if using).
STEP 3: SIMMER UNTIL TOMATOES ARE SOFT
Simmer over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Blend with an immersion blender or leave the sauce chunky.
Assemble Huevos Rancheros
STEP 1: COOK THE EGGS SUNNY SIDE UP
Cook the sunny-side up eggs in an 8-inch non-stick skillet. Keep warm in the oven until ready to assemble the huevos rancheros.
STEP 2: WARM THE BEANS AND RANCHERO SAUCE
Warm pinto beans and ranchero sauce if made in advance (recommended).
STEP 3: PREPARE TORTILLAS
Place an 8-inch non-stick skillet or cast-iron skillet on the stovetop on medium-high heat. Warm corn tortillas for 15-20 seconds on each side or until pliable.
For a crispy tortilla like a tostada that can be picked up with your hands, lightly fry the tortillas in oil or bake them in the oven like these baked tortilla chips.
STEP 3: PLACE TORTILLA ON A PLATE OR PLATTER
Place tortillas on a plate and add refried or whole beans over the tortilla (¼ – ½ cup).
STEP 4: ADD THE RANCHERO SAUCE
Add ¼ cup of ranchero sauce over the beans.
STEP 5: PLATE THE EGGS AND TOP WITH CHEESE
Place cooked egg on top of the ranchero sauce and top with cojita cheese and chopped cilantro.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HUEVOS RANCHEROS
There are endless possibilities for what to serve with this simple dish. Here are some of our favorites:
- Fresh salsa or Salsa Verde
- Homemade Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Yellow onion, diced
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Jalapeño, diced
- Lime wedges or a squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Hot sauce
- Tortilla Chips
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
If you are looking to make this hearty breakfast your own, there are a few substitutions and ingredients you can add to make it just right for you.
- Beans: You can use refried beans or whole beans in this recipe. If using whole beans, I recommend using Mexican beans, black beans, pinto beans, or chili beans. You can also use a can of beans if you want to save a little time.
- Eggs: The fried egg can be cooked to your preference. I like mine sunny-side up, but if you are not a fan of runny yolks can also scramble them.
- Cheese: Cojita cheese is a Mexican cheese that is most commonly used in this dish. If you cannot find it, you can substitute it with feta cheese, cheddar cheese, jack cheese, or queso fresco.
- Tortillas: Corn tortillas are most commonly used in this dish, but you can also use flour tortillas. If you are gluten-free, you can use corn tortillas or gluten-free flour tortillas.
- Sauce: You can use ranchero sauce, enchilada sauce, or salsa in this recipe.
HOW TO STORE
This dish is best served fresh, but it can be made ahead of time and you can store the leftover ingredients in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply place this wonderful breakfast in a skillet on low heat until warmed through. You can also reheat them in the microwave.
Do you have questions about this simple recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Huevos rancheros typically contain eggs, tortillas, beans, cheese, and sauce.
The word huevos is pronounced “way-bohs” and the word rancheros is pronounced “ran-chay-rohs”.
Huevos rancheros is a Mexican breakfast dish.
Huevos rancheros means “ranchers eggs” in Spanish.
OTHER DELICIOUS RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- 1 cup refried beans or whole beans
- 3 corn tortillas (6-inches)
- 1/2 cup ranchero sauce
- 3 large eggs
- Cojita cheese (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
- Prepare refried or Mexican beans if making from scratch.
- Make ranchero sauce.
- Cook eggs sunny-side up.
- Soften corn tortillas on a skillet on medium-high heat. Warm for 15-20 seconds on each side of the tortilla or lightly fry in oil to soften or to crisp up. Drain on paper towels.
- Place prepared tortillas on a plate or platter. Top each tortilla with 1/4-1/2 cup of beans.
- Add 1/4 cup of ranchero sauce over the beans.
- Top beans with sunny side up egg.
- Top with cojita cheese, diced cilantro, avocado slices, creama or sour cream.
Assemble huevos rancheros
Prepare beans in advance or use pre made beans from a can.
Making the sauce fresh is factored into the time to assemble huevos rancheros recipe.
Adjust recipe to the amount of people serving: 1 tortilla, 1 egg, 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup ranchero sauce per serving.
- 1 jalapeño, sliced or diced
- 1/2 small white onion, sliced or diced
- 1 chipotle pepper (optional)
- 4 Roma tomatoes (1 pound), diced
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
RANCHERO SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS:
1. 1 tablespoon oil to a large skillet. Sauté
onions and jalapeno for 3 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
2. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and all the
spice; cumin oregano, garlic powder, salt, bay leaves, and chipotle (if using).
3. Simmer over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Blend with an immersion blender or leave the sauce chunky.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 920mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 9gSugar: 10gProtein: 18g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.