Taco pie is on the menu! This meal is made with flavorful seasoned beef, gooey cheese, and then loaded with your favorite toppings!
Be sure to check out the variety of crust options that are perfect for gluten-free, low carb, and keto diet followers. This complete meal is ready in under 30 minutes!
This recipe first appeared on the blog in 2013. This post has been updated with new photos and content!
It’s fiesta time! I have the easiest meal to whip together right here! This is so not a traditional Mexican dish, but it has the flavors of one, and when you want something quick and delicious, this taco pie is near perfection!
There is a lot of flexibility in this dish, so liven it up to your party tasting standards!
Quick Taco Pie Recipe With Pre-Made Crust
In a hurry? Then use a ready-made crust of your choice.
When I first started making this dish for my family I used crescent rolls for the crust. It’s easy to roll the dough out of the tube, and then gently pat into the pie or tart plate.
In addition to using crescent rolls for the pie crust, I have also used a variety of other pre-made options:
- Pie crust
- Canned biscuits
- Puff pastry
For a low carb taco pie consider these easy gluten-free crust options:
- homemade low carb coconut flour pie crust
- low carb pie crust with almond flour
- Cream Cheese Keto Pie Crust
Taco Pie Recipe
Once the crust is placed in the pie or tart pan, then it’s time to cook the filling.
Ground beef is used in this recipe, but you can also mix it up and cook ground chicken, turkey or a mix of meat if you would like.
After cooking the beef, then top the dish with shredded cheese and bake for about 12- 15 minutes or until the crust turns golden and the cheese has melted.
Taco Pie Topping Ideas
After the taco pie has cooled slightly, add the same toppings you like to put on tacos!
Sam helped me pick the toppings and for him, anything that resembles a Mexican dish will get something spicy added to it. On went some sliced up jalapeños for a spicy kick of flavor!
Consider adding a variety of toppings:
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced green onions
- Shredded cheese; Monterey Jack, Cheddar or Mexican Cotija
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Diced fresh avocado
- Avocado Cream Sauce
Some Like It HOT
I think I’ve been traumatized by all the years my dad and uncles would battle each other by taking bites of peppers to see who was tough enough to chomp down on the spiciest ones without looking like it was bothersome.
Yeah, perspire would bead up, and they looked tortured, but they just laughed it off, and didn’t flinch one bit.
I wasn’t fooled.
For an extra spicy bite, add:
- Hot sauce – Tabasco, Tapatio or Sriracha
- Sliced jalapeños
- Pico de Gallo Salsa
Fiesta Taco Pie
- 1 pie crust, package crescent rolls or homemade crust
- 1 lb ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning '
- 1 1/2 cups cheese, Mexican blend, shredded
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 4 ounce can can sliced olives
- jalapeño pepper, sliced
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- extra shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to recommended temperature on crescent roll package. Lightly spray pie dish with cooking spray.
- Roll crescent rolls to fit the size of your dish. Place in pie dish
- In a skillet on medium high cook meat until it begins to brown, remove any water or fat, then add diced onion. Cook thoroughly. Add taco seasoning and ¾ cup of water. Let simmer until water is almost evaporated. Once cooked stir in diced green chiles. Add meat mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese on top, and cook or 10-12 minutes or until your crust is lightly browned (follow recommended time on package).
- Remove from oven and add ½ cup of cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, olives and sliced jalapeños. Top with sour cream or Greek yogurt.