Chicken soaked in buttermilk and spices, coated in fresh breadcrumbs, and then baked will yield moist and crispy golden brown chicken.
I love fried chicken. Yes, I do, but I don’t make it often. You may think that I avoid cooking some good ole’ finger lickin’ fried chicken because I can’t use Greek yogurt in the place of frying oil – lol, (hey, I should try that!). Just in case you are stopping by for the first time, I love my plain Greek yogurt and use it a lot as a substitute for other creamy ingredients.
Or you may think I avoid oil because of the additional calories it adds to a low-cal protein. Both are logical, but not the reason I skip the Crisco as much as possible. My aversion directly relates to the mess that I’m left with afterwards. Cleaning up splattered grease from my stovetop range and wherever else the grease critters end up ruins my enjoyment of eating some fried chicken. I start thinking of the mess I’ll be cleaning up, even before the food is ready, so it has to be a super special occasion for me to fry my foods!
Honestly, I think this baked chicken tastes just as good as fried. It has what I enjoy most, the crunchy coating and moist meat. It’s a bonus that even if it wasn’t the goal, this chicken is pretty healthy!
I use this same recipe to cook chicken tenders, and add the crunchy pieces to my salads. You brine and cook it about half of the time you would cook chicken with the bone in. It’s delicious and so moist you can easily cut into a piece of chicken with your fork!
Give this recipe a try and tell me what you think! I’m sure you will be pleased with the flavor and trilled with the easy kitchen clean-up!
Crispy Buttermilk Baked Chicken
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 pounds chicken pieces
- 5 slices sourdough sandwich slices torn into pieces
- Position two racks in the oven; one in the middle and the other on the bottom rack. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line two cooking sheets with foil and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix spices together in a small bowl. Whisk buttermilk, Greek yogurt in a bowl large enough to brine the chicken pieces in. Add spices to the buttermilk/yogurt mix, and add chicken, ensuring all pieces are coated. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Pulse bread in a food processor or blender until finely ground. Bake bread crumb on a baking sheet, stirring occasionally, until light golden (approximately 5 minutes). Transfer to a shallow dish for dredging.
- Remove chicken from bowl allowing buttermilk coating to drip back into the bowl and dredge in crumbs, pressing lightly so the crumbs stick to the chicken. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet, and lightly spray chicken with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake on lowest rack until bottom of the chicken is golden brown (8-10 minutes), Move baking sheet to the middle rack and reduce oven to 400 degrees. Bake until chicken is golden brown, 20-25 minutes.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.