Fork-Tender beef short ribs slow cooked with red wine and beef broth.
These meaty short ribs are perfect to serve this fall. They’re filling, satisfying, and will make your bellies nice and warm. I had to carefully place the meat on the plate to take a photo. It literally falls off the bone as you try to remove a piece from the crockpot.
I don’t have a lot to say about this dish, except that after cooking lots of chicken and turkey, my guys were very happy that I cooked some hearty lip smacking beef!
Beef Short Ribs Slow-Cooked
- 12 bone-in beef short ribs trimmed of extra fat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil I used grape seed, divided
- 1 onion chopped
- 3/4 cup shallots chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 cup celery stalk chopped
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 cups dry red wine I used cabernet sauvignon
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- Put salt, pepper and flour in a ziplock bag and lightly dredge beef ribs 3-4 at a time. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of cooking oil to pan coating the bottom of the pan. Sauté 6 ribs in oil, browning all sides (about 6 minutes). Remove ribs and put in crockpot. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 teaspoon of oil and last 6 ribs.
- Add onion and vegetables, garlic to pan and sauté for 1-2 minutes or just until fragrant. Add wine and broth to warm. Pour all ingredients and rosemary over meat in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 9 hours.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
Adapted from Cooking Light, The New Way to Cook Light (2012) book.
Instead of cooking the meat in the oven, like the original recipe does, I wanted to put Mr. Crockpot to work!
He does such a great job 🙂
Serve with a baked potato or Mock Mashed Potatoes. A side of fresh green beans would be nice too.
If you didn’t finish off the bottle of wine waiting for this deliciousness to cook up, then enjoy a glass with your meal.