Light and crunchy Cinnamon Twists just like the ones served at the fast food chain Taco Bell. Looking for a fun snack for the kids or just something different to satisfy a sweet tooth, these airy Mexican snacks will hit the spot. The ingredient list is simple and you’ll love having this easy treat on hand.
Be sure to check out this authentic churros recipe too!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
For obvious reasons, cinnamon twists taste delicious and they’re fun to make.
- Economical snack that kids will love. Taco Bell’s value menu right at home! No need to drive to the fast food restaurant.
- Great addition to movie night. Add cinnamon twists to your snack menu.
- Fun to make – it’s magic watching the pasta para duros puff up instantly!
- Make as much or little as you want in minutes. A small batch for yourself or enough to feed the neighborhood kids.
- Satisfying treat! The crunchy bite with the cinnamon sugar is the perfect combination together.
WHAT IS CHICHARRONES DE HARINA?
Chicharrones is a Spanish word for the light and airy pork rinds that Latin cultures eat as a snack. Harina is a Spanish word for flour. Chicharrones de harnia, describes the snack, pasta made with flour.
These look like dried traditional pasta shaped in twists. Chicharrones de harinia are sold in different shapes. The most common shapes are the twists or wheels that are served with savory seasonings.
You will also learn that these Mexican snacks are also called duros de harina, pasta para duros, durros, churritos, pin weels or chicharrones. (Wikipedia)
To make the copycat Taco Bell cinnamon twists you will want to get the twists that are the same shape of rotini pasta.
Regular wheat pasta will not fry up into a crispy snack like Mexican duros de harina will.
WHERE CAN I BUY DUROS DE HARINA (HARD OR DRIED PASTA)?
Purchase traditional Mexican snacks (duros de harina) from Latin grocery stores. These snacks are also available online from sites like Etsy and Amazon. Search for Chicharrones de harina or Pasta de Duros.
ARE TACO BELL CINNAMON TWISTS HEALTHY?
Choosing a dessert from the Taco Bell menu? Cinnamon twists have less fat than Cinnabon Delights. For a full nutritional breakdown, visit Taco Bell’s website under nutrition information: 170 calories per serving, 6 grams of fat and 27 carbohydrates.
- Dutch oven, large pot, skillet or deep fryer. To make a large batch I recommend using a deep fryer or Dutch oven.
- Candy or deep fry thermometer (optional)
- Slotted spoon
- Paper towels
- Frying oil – neutral tasting like canola or vegetable oil
- Duros de harina – this is a Mexican snack type of pasta you will find in Mexican markets
HOW TO MAKE TACO BELL CINNAMON TWISTS (COPYCAT)
Step 1: Mix Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
Combine sugar and cinnamon together in a medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
Step 1: Heat oil
Add 1-2 cups of neutral tasting oil like vegetable or canola oil to your pan. For a small batch, you will only want to use one cup of oil. Heat oil to 350°F.
Step 1: Add Duros
After the oil is hot, place the Mexican duros into the pan and the pasta will puff up in just a few seconds (20-30). The twists will triple in size when fried.
Step 1: Place on Paper Towels
Remove from the hot oil with a slotted spoon or stainless steel fry spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
Step 1: Add Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture
Sprinkle the prepared cinnamon-sugar mixture over the cooked cinnamon twists or place sugar in a ziplock bag or container with a lid, add the cooked twists and gently shake the cinnamon-sugar in the bag or container to coat the cinnamon twists.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TACO BELL’S CINNAMON TWISTS
Cinnamon twist snacks are meant to be eaten just as they are, but you can get creative with these tasty snacks.
- Serve with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
- Mix in with a salty treat like Air Fryer Popcorn.
- Top on vanilla or cinnamon cupcakes.
- Serve as a dessert to your Mexican fiesta menu. These are great to serve for parties!
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
- Add savory flavor like Tajin Seasoning – a chili pepper, lime and salt blend in place of the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Drizzle fresh squeezed lime juice over the twists.
- Try a different type of noodle shape. The round duros come in small and large size.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce
- Serve with dips – chocolate, caramel or fresh whipped cream are delicious options.
- For a sugar free, zero calorie cinnamon topping replace the granulated sugar with a sugar free alternative like granulated monk fuit, Swerve or Allulose.
HOW TO STORE
You cans store leftovers in an air tight container for up to seven days. You can crisp up in an air fryer at 350*F for 5 minutes on place in an oven at 350°F for 5 minutes.
No. Crispas are flour tortilla triangles fried, then coated with cinnamon-sugar. Cinnamon Twists from Taco Bell are made with wheat flour, yellow corn meal, rice flour, salt.
No. Crispas were removed from the menu and replaced with Cinnamon Twists.
Wheat flour, salt, and baking powder are the only ingredients listed on the package.
OTHER DELICIOUS COPYCAT RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
Be sure to try these recipes too.
- Copycat Starbucks Bliss Bars
- Chipotle Chicken Bowl
- Copycat Olive Garden Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo
- Copycat Starbucks Skinny Mocha
- 1 1/2 cups chicarrones de harina
- Vegetable or Canola oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together the granulated sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Place oil in a large skillet, Dutch Oven or deep fat fryer heat to reach 350°F temperature.
- Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Add Chichirrones de harina to hot oil 1/2 cup at a time. Twists will puff up in 20-30 seconds. Gently remove the twists with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat until all twists are cooked.
- Coat prepared twists with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
If you don't have a candy or deep fry thermometer you can heat the oil over medium heat. When the oil gets hot, drop a kernel of popcorn in the pot. If the kernel pops, then you will know the oil is the right temperature, 350°F.
sugar free topping
To make a sugar free cinnamon topping replace granulated sugar with a sugar free alternative like Swerve or monk fruit.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 0g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.