Coconut Flour Pie Crust is low carb, gluten free and easy to make! Add your favorite filling like this sugar free cinnamon blueberry sauce to complete this dessert!
Coconut Flour Pie Crust Recipe
Low carb eating doesn’t mean that you have to completely cut all foods that have carbohydrates in them. We actually need carbs to help us digest our food and to give us energy.
Plus, did you know that stripping ALL carbs from our diet can force our bodies to use our own muscle for energy! We don’t want that, so pick your carbs wisely!
It is a hard balance to find, so I’m always testing what carbs are easy to minimize without obsessing over the fact that I’m limiting my intake.
Veggies are always on the “go crazy” eat up list with some fruits right behind them, but foods like breads (any thing made with wheat, rice) have been put on the occasional food enjoyment list with sugary treats.
Low Carb Pie Crust
Unless I’m training for a marathon, which I have no intention of doing any time soon, my body stores extra carbs (and sugar) as fat even though I workout 3-4 sometime 5 days a week! Annoying, right?!
But life is boring without some of our favorite treats, so one way to keep satisfied while keeping the extra carbs at bay is to substitute high carb ingredient for lower ones.
Making a coconut flour pie crust instead of a traditional wheat crust is one way to switch things up! This flour substitution is high in fiber, gluten free, and low in carbohydrates!
Coconut flour pie crust is adaptable for sweet and savory pies
For this pie crust I used an 8 1/2 inch pie plate, which is meant to serve eight. Guess how many carbs are in the crust…under 3 per slice! A traditional whole wheat crust will have about 30 grams of carbs.
I found this handy dandy recipe analyzer, which beats the heck out of working out the nutritional data the old fashioned paper and pencil method!
For a savory pie try:
In the mood for a sweet pie? Try one of these:
- Fill it with cinnamon blueberry sauce
- Add extra chunky strawberries to this sugar free strawberry topping
- Mix whipped topping with sugar free lemon curd
Give this coconut flour pie crust a try!
Low Carb Coconut Flour Pie Crust
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons Organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 8-9 inch pie plate and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together coconut flour, coconut sugar and salt
- In a small bowl beat the eggs, coconut oil and vanilla together. Fold into dry ingredients and mix until dough forms and all ingredients hold together.
- Press into prepared pie plate and gently pierce the pie crust with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until set.
- Cool and fill with pie filling.