Healthy Quinoa Burrito Bowl
Quinoa Burrito Bowl layered with fresh roasted butternut squash, black beans, corn and chicken topped with a yogurt salsa ranchera sauce.
Quinoa Burrito Bowl
I’m feeling pretty proud that I prepared these burrito bowls in advance giving me 8 meals to pack up!
I know it’s a good idea to plan ahead so you don’t eat junk or not at all, but my weekends and evenings always get away from me.
Same for you? Hope this recipe will help you too.
How To Make Quinoa Burrito Bowl
First, prepare the chicken and the butternut squash and let them cool.
When the chicken and squash are cool, cut them into bite size pieces, and place them in in the refrigerator.
If you want a short cut, then purchase prepared quinoa (Costco sells microwaveable pouches). If you have time, then cook up the quinoa and let it cool.
By the way, the Costco brand is a mix of organic quinoa, brown & red rice with flaxseed.
All kinds of healthy goodies in this meal!
Assemble Each Burrito Bowl
I picked up some plastic ware from the Dollar Store so I could easily assemble the meals.
Next, I set up a prepping station. Line up the ingredients and started scooping about 1/2 cup of each item into each container.
For some meatless options leave out the chicken.
The extra chicken can be used to make quesadillas.
Add Some Flavor
To complete these burrito bowls I added a tasty yogurt creamy sauce for some additional flavor.
To make this, just combine two ingredients: Greek yogurt and this spicy salsa ranchera sauce.
The extra flavor adds a punch of flavor to all the ingredients and can be easily adjusted to suit your taste.
If you like lots of spice, then add more salsa!
You also might love this Avocado Cream Sauce or Ranch Dressing.
Grab and Go Meals
It was so nice to have these meals prepared and ready to grab and go as I went out the door in the morning.
For a variation you can wrap these ingredients in lettuce leaves for a lower carb meal, tortillas or add greens to a bowl for a hearty salad!
Healthy Quinoa Burrito Bowl
- 2 skinless chicken breast cooked and diced into bite size pieces
- 4 skinless chicken thighs cooked and diced into bite size pieces
- 1 large butternut squash cooked and diced into bite size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- taco seasoning
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 15 ounce can corn
- 4 cups prepared quinoa rice or a combination of grains.
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons salsa ranchera
- Chicken: Season chicken with salt, pepper and taco seasoning and bake at 250 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Butternut Squash: 400 degrees. Halve the squash lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out and discard seeds. Drizzle flesh with olive oil bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool. Cut into 1 inch slices and cut around skin into diced pieces. (you may remove skin with a vegetable peeler before roasting).
- Drain and rinse beans and corn. Mix together and set aside in a small bowl.
- cups prepared quinoa, rice or a combination of grains.
- In a small bowl mix together yogurt and salsa ranchera.
- To assemble: Add 1/4-12 cup quinoa to the bottom of the container or bowl. Top with 1/4-1/2 cup of butternut squash, chicken and bean/corn mix.
- Serve with yogurt sauce.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
I love quinoa, this sounds like a wonderful combination, and so nice to have healthy meals prepared in advance and ready when you need them!
LOVE these bowls. Each ingredients makes me hungrier and hungrier!
This will be great to get away from the usual taco salad we make. I love the addition of the squash too. My family will really enjoy this. Pinning! 🙂
What a delicious and healthy combination! That creamy yogurt salsa looks very refreshing!
What a great looking meal with such wonderful flavors. I love all the healthy ingredients.