This easy Pumpkin Cake Roll packed with Fall flavors, and gently rolled with a cream cheese filling will be the star of your holiday dessert menu!
Pumpkin Cake Roll
A cake roll has been on my “must try” list for such a long time, and just like this Boston cream pie, I was convinced this would be a difficult dessert to tackle. Well, I finally took the time to learn how to get that layered spiral look that makes this cake look so elegant!
Guess what?? This is such an easy cake to make, so don’t wait any longer to give this rolled cake technique a try! All you need is a clean dish cloth and powdered sugar to get the cake to spiral so beautifully!
Easy pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling
The key to making the roll shape of this cake is to immediately loosen edges of cake from pan after it’s baked, and turn cake onto prepared kitchen towel (a second set of hands are helpful at this point). Gently remove the waxed paper, and then roll towel and cake together into a spiral starting from the short side.
Let the cake completely cool on a wire baking rack before gently unrolling and adding the cream cheese filling. Re-roll for a beautiful pumpkin cake!
Pumpkin desserts to try!
This Pumpkin Cake Roll is officially my first pumpkin sweet treat for the year! Are you a pumpkin pie fan? I love pumpkin, but as far as baking it in a pie, I look forward to the fresh whipped cream not the pie itself!
Year after year pumpkin pie still makes an appearance on our table for the holidays, but I think it’s going to have some competition this year! Here are some of my favorite treats!
- Pumpkin Delight Dessert from The Foodie Affair
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars from The Foodie Affair
- Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake from The Foodie Affair
- Try this beauty! Cinderella Pumpkin Bundt Cake from An Affair From the Heart
Make your fall dessert recipes with real pumpkin puree!
Each dessert is wrapped up with all the warm flavorful Fall spices like ginger, nutmeg, and of course pumpkin puree! Do you know that it’s very easy to make your own pumpkin puree using a pressure cooker?
In six minutes you can have fresh pumpkin for all your favorite recipes! Make a batch and portion out 1/2 cup, freeze and use all year long!
If you are looking for an alternative to the traditional pie then add this festive cake roll to your menu!
Pumpkin Cake Roll with Pecans
Delicious pumpkin roll recipe with cream cheese filling topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar. Perfect cake for any Fall gathering.
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- powdered sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1 8-ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; grease paper. Set aside. Lay clean dish cloth on a flat surface and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl beat eggs on high speed until thick and light yellow (5 minutes). Gradually add granulated sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice. Beat in flour mixture on low just until combined. Spread batter in prepared pan and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake onto prepared kitchen towel (a second set of hands are helpful at this point). Remove waxed paper. Roll towel and cake into a spiral starting from the short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- For cream cheese filling in a medium bowl beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth and well combined. On low speed gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Unroll cake and spread filling within 1 inch of the edges of the cake. Roll up and place on a serving plate. Cover and chill. Before serving sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.