Pomegranate Moscow Mule takes the traditional Moscow mule served in a copper mug, and adds a festive flare with the addition of sparkling pomegranate juice.
Pomegranate Moscow Mule
Every year during the holiday season I try to come up with a fun cocktail to share with my family.
This is one of the perks of having adult kids that can now partake in festive drinks!
If you like a classic Moscow Mule Cocktail, then you are in for a delicious surprise with this pomegranate version.
To make this festive, I added sparkling pomegranate Italian soda mixing into a delicious combination of tangy and sweet flavors!
So pretty and simple to make too! So put all the ingredients out and create a do-it-yourself bar!
Ingredients you will need:
Gather the following ingredients:
- Vodka – 80 proof of your favorite brand.
- Ginger beer – if you are counting calories or want to lower the sugar in your cocktail then use the diet ginger beer, ginger ale diet soda or stevia sweetened soda like Zevia or Zevia mixer. Note that ginger ale does not have the same spicy bite that ginger beer does, so if you are looking for that unique flavor then you might want to muddle some fresh ginger in each cocktail.
- Pomegranate Juice – I used an Italian sparkling water like Sanpellegrino, a soda or juice. Want a cocktails without the carbonation? Use plain pomegranate juice.
- Lime juice – fresh limes.
- Fresh lime slices (optional)
- Pomegranate arils (optional, but festive!)
How many calories in a Moscow mule cocktail?
A traditional Moscow mule cocktail is about 229 calories each beverage; 2 ounces of vodka (96 calories), 5 ounces of Ginger beer (75 calories), 1 tablespoon of simple syrup (52 calories), juice from 1/2 lime (6 calories).
To lighten the calories, I use the following ingredients:
Low calorie cocktail: this version is about 187 calories for each beverage; 2 ounces of vodka (96 calories), 5 ounces of Ginger beer (75 calories), lime juice (6 calories), and 3 ounce sparkling pomegranate water (10 calories). I don’t add any extra sweetener. The Ginger beer is sweet enough for my taste.
Sugar free cocktail: this version is about 112 calories for each beverage; 2 ounces of vodka (96), 5 ounces of Zevia Mixer ginger beer (0 calories), and 3 ounces sparkling pomegranate water (10 calories), and lime juice (6 calories).
Where can you buy ginger beer at the grocery store?
Although ginger beer is NOT made with hops (which is what beer is made of), you will often find ginger beer in the alcohol section of grocery stores.
Ginger beer is often used as a mixer, so you will find it near the tonic waters, mai-tai, and margarita mixes.
Does diet ginger beer have carbs?
A 12 ounce bottle of Bundaberg diet ginger beer has six (6) carbs. This particular brand is sweetened with a mix of cane sugar and sucralose.
Another popular brand is Light Fever Tree ginger beer. A 200 ml (6.8 ounce glass) has 9.8 carbs. This ginger beer is sweetened with sugar.
Finally, another popular brand is Gosling’s Diet Ginger Beer. This brand has zero carbs and is sweetened with sucralose.
Let me know if you have a favorite low carb ginger beer!
Pomegranate Moscow Mule
This pomegranate Moscow mule is a festive twist to the traditional cocktail. Bold ginger flavor paired with the sweet flavor of pomegranate soda, juice or sparkling water.
- 5 ounce Ginger beer
- 2 ounce vodka
- 2 ounce pomegranate sparkling soda
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Sliced Lime (optional)
- Pomegranate arils (optional)
- Fill copper mug with ice and add ginger beer, vodka, and pomegranate.
- Stir with a bar spoon and add fresh lime. Stir again.
- Finish cocktail by adding a fresh slice of lime and a Tablespoon or pomegranate arils.
This recipe was calculated using the low carb ingredients listed in the post. Use sugar free ginger beer to lower the sugar and carb count.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Saturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 15g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
More holiday cocktails to try
Looking for a few more festive cocktails to try this holiday season? Be sure to try these recipes:
- Limoncello Spritz – light and refreshing cocktail that is made with prosecco.
- Cranberry Cosmopolitan Cocktail – fresh drink with homemade ingredients.
- Berry Kissable Cocktail – made with vodka, fruit juice and homemade raspberry syrup.
- Slow Cooker Winter Sangria – fruity mulled wine is the perfect drink to sip while sitting near a warm fire.
PIN TO YOUR HOLIAY, COCKTAIL, AND PARTY BOARDS
We made this great Moscow mule with freshly squeezed pomegranate juice and Fever Tree ginger beer! Loved it so much!
I love anything pomegranate so I had to try this. I’m not a big fan of the classic Moscow mule but I really liked this drink!
This is such a beautiful idea for pomegranates. I’ve never had this before but it sounds refreshing and perfect for the season!
I really loved this Pomegranate Moscow Mule recipe—so crisp and fresh tasting. My friends and family enjoyed it on the Holidays, and we will be making it again this season! Happy New Year to you and yours! I’m looking forward to your new blog posts!
I need to get my hands on some pomegranate soda! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that. But then again, I have pomegranate juice. This sounds so good!
I’ve never had any kind of Moscow mule! I’d love my first to be your pomegranate version. It sounds so delicious!
This looks so festive and love the beautiful color! Great flavors and it was loved by all. Definitely a different kind of flavor than what I have made before.
Thank you, Sandhya! It does add a festive touch with the pretty colors!
This is a delicious Moscow mule. We really enjoyed it and will make it again for sure. It was the perfect holiday drink. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
I love Moscow Mules and love the seasonal variations. Your recipe did not disappoint! It was refreshing and full of flavor. Thank you!
I am really loving this version! This Pomegranate Moscow Mule will be perfect for holiday celebrations.