Keto Taco Casserole Recipe is a flavorful and easy meal that the entire family will enjoy whether everyone follows a keto diet or not! Ground beef or turkey seasoned with taco spice mix, then topped with tomatoes, olives, and green onions. Finish the dish with sour cream and cheese that’s baked into a cheesy casserole. Here you have the same deliciousness of tacos, but in a casserole with only 5 net carbs per serving.
Table of Contents
Low Carb Taco Casserole Recipe
Lately I’ve been in a meal planning rut. During the week, I try to plan ahead at least two or three meals in advance so when dinner time comes on those busy weeknights we’re not scrambling to get a meal on the table.
My favorite quick and easy delicious recipes are these skillet pork chops or this jalapeno popper chicken. If you haven’t tried those, get them on your menu asap! They’re always a hit and super delicious when warmed up the next day for lunch.
This Keto Taco Casserole was inspired by my vegetarian enchilada casserole. I guess I wasn’t quite ready to put Mexican food on the back burner. Although my enchilada dish is low carb with low carb corn tortillas, I was craving the ultimate keto taco casserole dish.
Ready to get cooking?
Ingredients you will need:
This easy keto taco casserole recipe only requires a handful of ingredients and most you probably have stocked.
- Lean ground beef or ground turkey. Both options are delicious. I happen to have turkey more often that that I get from Costco. Ground turkey from Costco comes packaged in 1-1/2 pounds, which is the perfect amount for this recipe. However, using full-fat beef is completely acceptable when following a low carb diet.
- Homemade taco seasoning – make your own and keep it stocked in your spice drawer. You will need 3-4 tablespoons, so if you buy the packets you’ll need 2.
- Rotel tomatoes – pick mild, medium or hot. I use the original style. You’ll use 1/2 cup of this, so the remaining can you can mix in this cheese nacho sauce. Alternatively, you can add diced tomatoes and add 2-4 ounces of chopped green chiles.
- Cheese – cream cheese and shredded cheese. I used a Mexican blend, but you can mix in your favorite flavors or just have one flavor like cheddar cheese, pepper jack or monterey jack cheese .
- Sour cream – full fat for rich great tasting casserole.
- Vegetables – diced fresh tomatoes, sliced black olives and green onion.
This is a great meal is practically a one pot dish!
You will need a large skillet and a 9-inch by 9-inch ceramic baking dish.
How to make keto taco casserole
Turn taco night in to a delicious keto style meal and finish with your favorite taco toppings.
STEP 1 – BROWN MEAT
Place the ground beef or turkey in a large skillet over medium-high heat along with the taco seasoning. If you are using a low fat protein, then you will want to add a tablespoon of avocado or olive oil to the skillet. On the other hand, if the meat if filled with excess fat or water, you may want to drain before mixing in the taco seasoning.
STEP 2 – ADD TOMATOES AND CREAM CHEESE
Next, add the diced Rotel tomatoes and cream cheese into the ground beef mixture. You can really ramp up the flavor to suit your taste buds depending on the tomatoes you use. There are so many options! I used the original version.
STEP 3 – COOK ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER
Mix until the cheese melts and the tomatoes are well disbursed through the taco meat.
STEP 4 – ASSEMBLE CASSEROLE
Place the cooked meat in a casserole dish. Top with sour cream, fresh diced tomatoes, olives and green onions.
STEP 5 – ADD CHEESE AND BAKE
Top the casserole with shredded cheese before placing in the oven. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Add this keto taco casserole dish to your fiesta or simply make for taco Tuesday. then we enjoyed it for several days for lunch!
Alan scooped up his with some baked tortilla chips. However, I ate my serving just as you see, however, leftover cauliflower rice would be a tasty addition. Either way, I practically licked the plate!
We kept this simple with diced tomatoes and a sprinkle of cilantro, but the best part of this meal is that the options are limitless by adding your favorite Mexican flavors. In fact, you can top the casserole with chopped lettuce along with sliced jalapenos or a sprinkle of red pepper, fresh guacamole
What to serve this with
This low carb taco casserole is filling and you will leave the table satisfied. However, if you are looking for an additional dish to serve this with try adding one of the following:
- Spanish rice – for those that have some wiggle room in your macros.
- Green salad with cilantro dressing – the ultimate keto dressing for a variety of foods.
- Top with pico de gallo (fresh salsa).
- Sautéed zucchini
- Grab some low carb tortillas from your grocery store and roll the tortilla with the taco filling like a burrito.
Check out these low carb recipes
Easy Taco Soup Recipe – great freezer meal idea (if you can get it in the freezer before eating it all!).
Taco Pie – this is an easy recipe with a variety of crust options to keep the dish keto.
Low Carb Mexican Casserole with chicken breasts.
Hope you give this easy keto casserole recipe a try and be sure to let me know what fresh toppings you add. I’m always looking for inspiration.
Keto Taco Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup Rotel tomatoes drained
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 2 ounce can sliced black olives, drained
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese Mexican blend
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
- Lightly spray a 9-inch by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook ground beef or turkey. Add taco seasoning and cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add Rotel tomatoes and cream cheese. Reduce heat to medium and stir until cheese melts and tomatoes are distributed through the taco meat.
- Place cooked meat in prepared baking dish. Top with sour cream, fresh diced tomatoes, olives and green onions.
- Add shredded cheese and bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly on the sides.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR LOW CARB, KETO, MEXICAN DISHES AND CASSEROLE RECIPE BOARDS