Keto Taco Casserole is a flavorful and easy meal that the whole family will enjoy! Ground beef or turkey seasoned with taco spice mix, then topped with tomatoes, olives, and green onions. Finally, the whole dish is topped with sour cream and cheese.
Keto Taco Casserole
Lately I’ve been in a meal planning rut. During the week, I try to plan ahead at least 2 or three meals in advance so when dinner time comes we’re not scrambling to get a meal on the table
My favorite quick and easy recipes are these skillet pork chops or this jalapeno popper chicken. If you haven’t tried those, get them on your menu asap! They’re always a hit and super delicious when warmed up the next day for lunch.
This Keto Taco Casserole was inspired by my vegetarian enchilada casserole. I guess I wasn’t quite ready to put Mexican food on the back burner.
Although my enchilada dish is low carb with low carb corn tortillas, I was craving the ultimate keto taco casserole dish.
Ready to get cooking?
Ingredients you will need:
This dish only requires a handful of ingredients and most you probably have stocked.
Ground beef or ground turkey. Both options are delicious. I happen to have turkey more often that that I get from Costco.
Ground turkey from Costco comes packaged in 1-1/2 pounds, which is the perfect amount for this recipe.
You will also need the following:
- Taco seasoning – make your own. You will need 3-4 tablespoons, so if you buy the packets you’ll need 2.
- Rotel tomatoes – pick mild, medium or hot. I use the original style. You’ll use 1/2 cup of this, so the remaining can you can mix in this cheese nacho sauce.
- Cheese – cream cheese and shredded cheese. I used a Mexican blend, but you can mix in your favorite flavors or just have one flavor like cheddar.
- Sour cream – full fat for the ultimate keto, or if your prefer a lite variety, that is fine too.
- Vegetables – diced fresh tomatoes, sliced olives and green onion.
This is practically a one pot meal!
You will need a large skillet and a baking dish. For this dish I used a 9-inch by 9-inch ceramic baking dish.
How to make keto taco casserole
To make this casserole we start by cooking the ground beef or turkey in a large skillet, then add the taco seasoning.
Next, add the diced Rotel tomatoes and cream cheese. You can really ramp up the flavor to suit your taste buds depending on the tomatoes you use. There are so many options! I used the original version.
Mix until the cheese melts and the tomatoes are well disbursed through the taco meat.
Place the cooked meat in a casserole dish. Top with sour cream, fresh diced tomatoes, olives and green onions.
Top the casserole with shredded cheese before placing in the oven.
Add this keto taco casserole dish to your fiesta or simply make for any busy evening.
I made this dish for dinner, then we enjoyed it for several days for lunch! Alan scooped up his with some baked tortilla chips.
However, I ate my serving just as you see, and practically licked the plate!
What to serve this with
This low carb taco casserole is filling and you will leave the table satisfied. However, if you are looking for an additional dish to serve this with try adding one of the following:
- Spanish rice – for those that have some wiggle room in your macros.
- Green salad with cilantro dressing – the ultimate keto dressing for a variety of foods.
- Top with pico de gallo (fresh salsa).
- Sautéed zucchini
Check out these low carb taco inspired recipes
Easy Taco Soup Recipe – great freezer meal idea (if you can get it in the freezer before eating it all!).
Taco Pie – this is an easy recipe with a variety of crust options to keep the dish keto.
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup Rotel tomatoes, drained
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (2 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, Mexican blend
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
- Lightly spray a 9-inch by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook ground beef or turkey. Add taco seasoning and cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add Rotel tomatoes and cream cheese. Reduce heat to medium and stir until cheese melts and tomatoes are distributed through the taco meat.
- Place cooked meat in prepared baking dish. Top with sour cream, fresh diced tomatoes, olives and green onions.
- Add shredded cheese and bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly on the sides.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 467Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 552mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 37g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR LOW CARB, KETO, MEXICAN DISHES AND CASSEROLE RECIPE BOARDS