Keto Chicken Artichoke Casserole is an easy-to-make, delicious low carb meal that is packed with flavor. This casserole combines chicken, artichoke hearts, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, and seasonings that come together to create a savory dish that your whole family will rave about it. Plus, this chicken artichoke bake is great for a busy weeknight when you don’t want to stand over the stove.
If you love artichokes be sure to save this Grilled Artichokes recipe to try too.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It’s very easy to make and requires minimal effort, so you can get dinner on the table quickly on busy weeknights.
- The artichoke hearts add texture and flavor, while the seasonings give it an extra punch of flavor.
- You can easily mix up the cheese to what you already have on hand.
- Plus, this dish is low-carb, to help you stay on track with your health goals.
- Easy family meal as well as a great dish to serve guests.
- Looking for meal prep idea? Put in serving size containers. This dish reheats well.
You only need a of kitchen tools to help you make this simple and easy casserole recipe. Gather these tools and get ready to dive into this family-friendly comforting dish.
- large bowl
- large baking dish – I like to use a glass or ceramic casserole dish for this easy chicken casserole recipe.
You only need a few simple ingredients to help you make this creamy keto chicken casserole recipe. All of these ingredients are easy to find at your local grocery store, or in the pantry and fridge at home. You won’t regret making this hearty and filling easy recipe.
- red bell pepper
- boneless skinless chicken breasts – you can use thighs or a mix of thighs and breasts.
- cream cheese – full fat or light if you prefer. Make sure this is at room temperature so it can blend into a smooth mixture.
- A mix of spices – garlic onion, salt and pepper
- artichoke hearts – purchase plain artichokes in a can. You don’t want the marinated artichoke hearts.
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese or a cheese blend
How to make this keto chicken artichoke casserole
Making this keto casserole is simple. Just follow the step-by-step instructions below and you will have a family-friendly meal in no time at all.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and prepare your baking pan
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2: Mix together the wet ingredients and seasonings
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, black pepper garlic powder and onion powder until well blended.
Step 3: Add the vegetables and chicken
Add the chopped bell pepper, artichoke hearts, chicken, and parmesan cheese to the cream cheese mixture. Mix coating all the pieces of chicken.
Step 4: Transfer the chicken mixture to the baking dish
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
Step 5: Top the casserole with cheese
Top the casserole with the mozzarella cheese.
Step 6: Bake until the chicken is done
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted.
Step 7: Allow the casserole to rest
Allow the casserole to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
What to serve with a casserole
I love to serve a hearty meal like this one with an easy vegetable side dish like this Baked Zucchini Squash recipe. If you love a sweet treat at the end of your meal this Creamy Keto Chocolate Cheesecake is a must make. You could also serve this recipe with a side of cauliflower rice or side salad.
Substitutions and additions
Here are a few ways that you can personalize this recipe to suit your taste buds.
- If you don’t have any artichoke hearts on hand, you can substitute canned diced tomatoes instead.
- You could also add some chopped fresh spinach to the dish for an extra boost of vitamins and minerals.
- If you want to add a touch of heat to your casserole you can sprinkle some red pepper flakes over the top.
- This casserole is also great with cooked bacon mixed in.
- Instead of chicken breasts, you could also use cut up boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer.
- If you have leftover rotisserie chicken on hand that you need to use, you can add it to this casserole. However, because you are using cooked chicken instead of raw chicken I recommend that you reduce the cooking time to 20 minutes.
How to store
Storage – Store leftovers of this casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Reheating – Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. You can also reheat the entire casserole in the oven at 350°F for 20 – 25 minutes. If you find that the casserole is a little dry add a splash of chicken broth or heavy cream to thin the creamy sauce a little.
Freezing – I don’t recommend freezing this casserole as the cream cheese and mayonnaise can separate when thawed, creating an unappetizing texture.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly questions for this recipe.
No, I recommend baking this casserole uncovered so that the cheese on the top browns nicely.
Yes, you can assemble it earlier in the day or the night before and then bake it right before serving. However, I do not recommend assembling it more than 24 hours in advance. If you are assembling this main dish ahead of time make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
I like to use Mozzarella cheese on top, but you could also use Monterey Jack, Cheddar cheese, or a combination of all three. I usually use mozzarella because the gooey mozzarella cheese melted on the top of the this chicken breast recipe is to die for.
Other delicious low carb recipes you may enjoy
Looking for more recipes with artichokes? Check out these options
- Baked Artichoke Balls – cheese and spices rolled in Panko flakes.
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – delicious appetizer idea using fresh spinach in a creamy mixture.
- Artichoke Soup – creamy and delicious soup lightened up!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder,
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese or cheese blend, shredded
- Lightly spray a 13" x 9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pre heat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, black pepper garlic powder and onion powder with a hand mixer.
- Add the chopped bell pepper, artichoke hearts, chicken, and parmesan cheese to the cream cheese mixture. Mix coating all the pieces of chicken.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Top the casserole with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted.
To lighten up the calories in this dish you can replace the mayonnaise with plain yogurt.
Use a mix of cheese either prepackaged or blend yourself. My favorite mix is Mozzarella, Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheeses.
Diced chicken thighs can be used in this casserole dish or a mix of breasts and thighs. Dark meat takes longer to cook and will require an addition 10-15 minutes. The internal temperature should reach 165°F for both dark and white chicken.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 249mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.