Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Shaken Espresso latte is a refreshing easy Starbucks copycat recipe made in your own home. This popular dairy free beverage cost 5 bucks at a coffee shop, but my version tastes just as delicious and can be made for under a dollar!
When made at home, not only is it much more affordable, but this can be adjusted to be a sugar free drink!
Iced Brown Sugar Oat Milk Espresso Shaken Latte
If you are a coffee connoisseur like I am then you will absolutely enjoy this delicious iced latte. Lightly sweetened with brown sugar and flavored with a hint of cinnamon. You’ll be making this every chance you get!
This iced oat milk beverage is the perfect mid afternoon pick-me-up. Since you make this at home, you can easily adjust to how much espresso (pick-up) you want in your beverage.
I’ll show you how to make one latte for yourself, and the best way to keep the ingredients on hand to made throughout the week.
To make this beverage you will need the following ingredients:
- Espresso or Coffee Concentrate – Don’t worry if you don’t have an espresso machine, I’ll show you how to make a cold brew coffee concentrate that you can use in this beverage with a French press. Alternatively, coffee concentrate can also be made in a coffee maker. Keep the concentrate on hand to try this dulce de leche coffee frappe drink too.
- Oat Milk – unsweetened
- Light Brown Sugar – you call also use a sugar free golden sugar substitute like Lakanto (affiliate) brand or monk fruit.
- Cinnamon – mixed in the latte or sprinkled on top of the drink.
How to make espresso without a machine
Espresso is strong dark concentrated shot of coffee. The brewing ratio of coffee to water is 1:2. If you don’t have an espresso machine don’t worry because I’ll share how to make strong concentrated coffee at home without a fancy machine.
French Press Method
Most often, I use my French press to make super strong coffee. It’s easy to make and although this method yields a larger batch than a single espresso, it’s not as much as this batch of iced coffee concentrate recipe.
Both of these options are perfect to make brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso beverage, and other coffee drinks. It just is a matter of how much coffee concentrate you want to have on hand.
To make coffee concentrate using a French press follow these directions:
- 1 cup fine to medium-fine ground coffee.
- Add ground coffee to to bottom of the French press.
- Pour 2 cup of filtered water over coffee grounds.
- With a spoon, stir to distribute the grounds through the water.
- Cover and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Press and pour over a fine sieve or coffee filter over a clean container.
- Keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
This ratio will yield about 1 1/3 cups of coffee concentrate.
Drip Coffee Maker Method
Although a coffee maker doesn’t have the same force of pushing water through a machine like an authentic espresso machine does, you can still get similar results. Here’s how:
For a single serving, add two heaping tablespoons of fine to medium-fine coffee grounds to the basket of the coffee maker. Pack the grounds down like you see a barista at a coffee shop do. Then add 2 ounces of water to the water reserve and brew.
To make a larger batch of coffee concentrate you will want to follow the same instructions as a single serve, but increase the coffee to 1/2 cup of grounds to 1 cups of water. I found that this ratio gives the best tasting strong coffee when using a drip coffee maker.
This ratio will yield about 2/3 cups of coffee concentrate.
Brown Sugar Oat Milk Espresso Shaken Latte Sweetener
The toffee like flavor from the brown sugar adds to the uniqueness of this latte and like the coffee concentrate, you have a couple of options; single serve or larger batch for multiple uses.
Single serve brown sugar sweetener
For one cup serving, add 2 teaspoons of sugar (or to taste) to the cocktail or mason jar shaker with the other ingredients.
Alternatively, if you are lucky to have an espresso machine, add the sweetener to the cup before brewing. Stir to dissolve the sugar. You can also heat pre-brewed espresso. Mix in the sweetener in the warm espresso and stir to dissolves before adding it to the remaining ingredients.
Brown sugar syrup for multi-servings
To make your own brown sugar simple syrup add one cup of brown sugar and one cup of water to a small saucepan. Simmer until the sugar dissolves. Cool and put in a glass container with a lid. Store in the refrigerator.
How to make brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso shaken latte
Ready to enjoy this delicious beverage? After preparing coffee concentrate and brown sugar syrup, here’s how to shake a coffee drink.
- Add sweetener to espresso or coffee concentrate.
- Place ice in a cocktail or mason jar shaker.
- Put espresso and oat milk into the shaker. Cover and shake for 15-20 seconds.
- Pour into a glass and sprinkle with cinnamon.
More drinks to try
Love making your own coffee house drinks at home? Give these recipes a try too!
- Caramel Latte – Milk coffee warm beverage topped with fresh whipped cream.
- Pumpkin Spice Latte – Homemade popular coffee drink that is often shared during the fall season. Don’t wait. Make this today.
- Frosty Cappuccino – Keep cool with this blended cappuccino drink. Perfect on a warm day.
- Mango Dragon Fruit Refresher – This is a Starbucks copycat beverage with fruity flavors and floral overtones. Truly refreshing!
Frequently Asked Questions
One cup of unsweetened oat milk has 7 net carbs per cup. If you are concerned about high carbohydrates, make sure you use unsweetened oat milk. Also, the nutrition macronutrients vary from brand to brand, so read each label carefully.
To lower the carbohydrates in this beverage substitute the brown sugar for a golden sugar free alternative sweetener. You can also substitute the oat milk for unsweetened almond milk (1 net carb per cup).
Oat milk is a dairy free alternative to cows milk.
Oat milk is made from steel cut oats or oat groats. The process involves soaking the oats in water, grinding it to a thick paste, and then straining it keeping only the liquid.
Standard shots of espresso are 1 ounce. Starbucks is .75 ounce giving you a stronger shot of espresso.
- 2 ounces of coffee concentrate or espresso
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar or simple syrup
- 3/4 cup oat milk, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- dash cinnamon
- Espresso - Add sweetener to a small cup and place under espresso machine to brew. Mix until sweetener dissolves.
- Coffee Concentrate - Add sweetener to a small cup with coffee concentrate and microwave until warm. Stir until sweetener dissolves.
- Place ice in a cocktail or mason jar shaker. Add oat milk, sweetened espresso or coffee concentrate and cover with lid.
- Shake for 15-20 seconds, then pour into a tall glass. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Macronutrients were calculated using Plant Oat Oat Milk brand and regular brown sugar.
Sugar free variation with unsweetened almond milk and sugar free golden sweetener is 30 calories and 8 non-impacted carbs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 68Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 13.9gNet Carbohydrates: 12.9gFiber: 1gProtein: 1g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR RECIPE BOARDS